1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First attempt at waterfowl

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Fowltaxi1986, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Fowltaxi1986

Fowltaxi1986 New Member

Ok this is my first attempt at waterfowl looking for tips an what to fix while its drying y'all can be straight up I have thick skin you won't hurt my feelings I wanna learn to do them right its just a hobby for me but still want to make them right an realistic as I possibly can I wrapped my own body an neck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

I would highly recommend that you get a dvd and study reference pictures your wings are off.

3. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Bring the wings back and bend at the elbow joint. Get those speculum feathers closer to the body

4. Fowltaxi1986

Fowltaxi1986 New Member

Ok I. Have 2 DVDs an watched them more than once before i started I knew my wings were stretched to far after looking back at reference pics an playing with a fully plucked whole duck other than wings anything else u see wrong ?

5. TIM SCHLOSS

TIM SCHLOSS Member

Tip.Next time you do a flying bird. Take another out and thaw it when you mount it. You can use it as reference on the angle and position of where the wing-bones should be. Even better pluck the feathers on the wing so you can really see it. Use it until you get the hang of it.

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Take tims advice!! Hes one of the best!! Before skinning a bird feel around on the wing, side pockets, scaps and everywhere for that matter. You can feel where the feather butt enters the skin and where theyre attached to the bird.

7. schloss x 2