1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Small Game Pedistal Mounts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Trapper2016, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hello everyone,

And thanks for the privilege of this forum, its amazing. I am getting ready to start my first pedistal mount of any kind, and figured i would start with a small mammal, in this case a raccoon. I have several questions though that i am hoping you guys and gals can help me with.

The first question i have revolves around securing the cape to the back of the pedistal. When watching deer shoulder mount videos i typically see where the hide is stapled on the back side of the form. Is this how you would secure the fur on a pedistal mount? And then attach your pedistal backing material on top of this stapled/secured hair? I apologize if this is an easy question in advance.

The 2nd question i have invovles the anchor point on the pedistal. Is it always best to mount your mounting rod to the form before the cape is mounted? Or in some cases of small mammals, such as a raccoon, can you insert the stabilizing rod through the cape once the finished product has set up and dried. I am guessing its always done before you put the cape on, such as with whitetails, but i just wanted to see what others thought. I know with a heavy form you need to anchor the rod securely and then epoxy the rod into place, but with a light form like a raccoon shoulder mount, i didn't know fi that was necessary. If you do mount the rod before you finish the mount, how do you go about sealing the circular opening iin the hide where the rod comes through? Epoxy maybe? Sorry again, if these questions seem ignorant.
    I purchased a small game pedistal mounting video from McKenzie, but to be honest, i leaves alot to be desired for someone new to things. Alot of steps are lef out, but luckily i have several other dvd's that helped educate me regarding other parts of the process.

Thanks for reading and have a good one.
    Chris

2. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

Definitely secure the rod into the form before mounting. This will allow you to position the mount as you mount it, as you need your 2 hands free. Also, I just use my hide paste to glue the hide to the edges of the back of the form, then piece in whatever backing material you want to use later. Cut the backing piece before you start mounting, as it will fit right in if pre-cut.

Attached Files:

• f17.jpg
      f17.jpg
      File size:
      49.8 KB
      Views:
    • f13.jpg
      f13.jpg
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
    • f10.jpg
      f10.jpg
      File size:
      45.6 KB
      Views:

3. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

back

Attached Files:

4. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Thank you lone wolf, thats a beautiful fox. And a really unique way of finishing it off with the tail. Thanks again