1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

scale tipping questions, 5th fish s

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by shawn9106, Jan 22, 2016.

1. shawn9106

shawn9106 New Member

I stripped all the paint off the first largemouth I done and started over. I was very happy with the results of this fish, I think it's the best one I've done but not near the quality of you guys. I wish I would have snapped a picture before the scale tipping but I think I might have messed it up. I used pearl ex powders solar gold and it's just to prominent, plus when I tipped them the gold would run a little bit and blotch up. What are some tips on gold scale tipping and what do you all think I did wrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. killdeer

killdeer Member

No expert here, but if you don't have Rick Krane's "LMB Repro Painting", it will help you out tremendously (I know it did for me!). That's the best advice I can give you since I am a novice/hobbyist. You will learn 10x faster than experimenting on your own and it will be well worth the money.

So my only critique would be the following:

1. Buy video, watch, take notes.
    2. Paint your fish according to Rick's methods.
    3. Smile when you look at the fish you did and be proud.
    4. Be amazed that you learned so much in one video.

Best of Luck,
    Rhino

3. JE

JE Well-Known Member

It looks like you are using your powders wet ? almost like a gold ink pen. Try using them dry for a much softer look. then if it looks heavy simply blow or brush off and try again. Once your happy a quick flash coat of gloss will seal them . It you want a heavier look simply build up in layers and use different golds otherwise it will all look the same.
    John

4. den007

den007 Active Member

Oh my! Get a good replica………ditch the Phillips "mega mouth" look. Tipping is way, way too bold. Try Lumsdens Liquid scales. We are not exactly old friends, but I will not knock a good product when it works……….You can use it straight up or dilute it for a softer look.

5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Get you some good reference, live reference , many good photos in reference section
    Zoom in on the scale colors and paint what you see,

carl

6. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

very random tipping also and agree with the rest

7. Tip the scales BEFORE you lay any paint on the fish-- then its not so bold. I like lumsden gold also. Try different applicators too. I use anything from a toothpick to a make-up brush.

8. nokes

nokes New Member

Don't know how you put them on, but they're way to heavy. Applied properly dry, they will be much more subtle. A coat of gloss will fade them in even more.

9. shawn9106

shawn9106 New Member

The next blank I buy will be a lake country, as far as the cheap Archie it was the first one I had done and I keep stripping it and practicing on it. But yes I didn't know anything about the scale tipping and when I bought the pearlex powders it came with some gum powders it said to mix, so I did and that's what happened. Now I know to apply it dry. Trial and error I guess haha