1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How much strech cab you get out of dp deer cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dannynewman, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

I was wondering how much you can strech a dry preserve method deer cape I have a cape that measures 18 inches tight behind the ears over the fur and would like to put on 18 inch form is this a bad idea ,I usually order the forms an 1 inch smaller but want a little bigger neck on this one, and what's the best way to strech the cape

2. have it tanned; leatherized, commercially tanned and processed by a professional who knows how to tan a green cape properly.
    DC

3. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

Yep.dry preserve is a bad idea.x2 Have it tanned.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

BULLSPIT. If you guys knew the numbers of deer mounted successfully with DP every year, you'd stop spreading that BS. I like a tanned hide but accept that many people out there are using DP now.

Danny, to answer your specific question, let me tell you: WAY MUCH MORE THAN YOU SHOULD. DP is basically RAW skin and will stretch phenomenally. The laws of physics still apply however and the hide will try to get back to it's normal state. Thus drumming is a real probability. DON'T stretch your hide any larger than the measurements you took when the deer came in. The best way to make a caricature of a beautiful animal is to stretch a hide 2 to 4 inches over what it actually was. You client may be impressed when he sees it, but in a few years he'll be using your name in vain for the cracks around the eyes and the mouth with the skin pulling away from the antlers and popping staples off the backboard.

5. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Danny, George summed it up pretty well. Pay no attention to the naysayers. Your 18" dry preserved cape will fit a corresponding manikin just fine.

6. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

Thanks George and Dave for helpful information

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

As George mentioned on another post, use a good 2 part apoxy hide paste such as Epo Grip or similar product made for taxidermy. A raw skin rubbed with dry preserve will shrink to a dried out dog chew while a rehydrated tanned skin will stay closer to its natural state in size and also be softer and flexible.