1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salting Issues with thin-skinned animals?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Aizui, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Aizui

Aizui Taxidermist

USA
    Do thin-skinned animals not do well being skinned, fleshed and then salted? I've heard that people put them into the pickle right after skinning and fleshing since these types of animals have issues with salt. What kind of issues? Can anyone explain? Are these issues from poor prep work or just the nature of the beast?

2. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

IMO , unless you need to dry them out to send to a tannery etc. it's an unnecessary step. The salting draws the moisture from the skin. Thin skinned mammals have such a small amount of moisture it doesn't seem to be an issue putting them straight into the pickle. I thaw most med. and smaller in the pickle. Skin, turn , flesh and back in the pickle. The only salt they get exposed to is in the pickle. It's been working for me for a long time.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Salt wicks out untanable proteins and enzymes that want to break down the skin with the rotting process. Enzymes are in you and me, and living animals, held in check until we die, then their job is to start the rotting process. Salting is a good thing, it has many positives, just where did you hear that skins don't do well salted? Salting before the pickle, will assist the pH so it doesn't have to work as hard as it does on a raw skin loaded with dirt and blood. The acid has to kill what ever you put in the pickle, salting and rinsing the skin before the pickle will help the pH hold lower longer, and a cleaner pickle bath that doesn't look like coffee. Makes for a cleaner smelling skin after tan too.

4. DeerHunter65x

DeerHunter65x I have a deep love for the great outdoors!

it's never worked well for me with thin skinned animals, I'm an amateur though and have a tough time with everything.

5. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

I skin salt then flesh thin skin animals, seems to make it easier for me to flesh after salting. especially opossum,seems to make the skin just a little bit tuffer,to me anyway.

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Low T gets the high mark on this one. Well done..