1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mount drying to quickly?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by yellowdog87, Jan 25, 2016.

1. yellowdog87

yellowdog87 New Member

I just mounted my 4th deer yesterday afternoon, all went as well as I expected. When I woke up this morning to check it and to do some adjusting the skin already seems to be dry and not movable around the eyes. It's only been maybe 12 hrs since it's been done, the rest of the mount still seems a little wet but not as much as the other mounts I've done. I could move the eye skin and some other areas on my other mounts a few days after it was done. Is this normal or what could be the reason for the fast drying?

2. Less humidity maybe ,air is drier in the winter this would cause mounts to dry faster

3. Bagging the head will will slow doing process giving you more time to work the face ,but it's already dry, rehydrate the areas with a spray bottle of water

4. George1419

George1419 New Member

Tn.
    Yes bagging the hed right after you mount will allow the face to dry very slow, also it will allow the inner ear skin to dry slow to prevent drumming

5. yellowdog87

yellowdog87 New Member

Thanks for the replies, I also thought another reason for my eyes being so dry was I let the clay set up a little longer (noy rock hard but fairly hard) because every time I get my clay work done and slide the Cape over it screws it up. I think from now on I'll slide the Cape on clay my eyes then adjust the face while the clay is nice and moist.

6. austin_0_4

austin_0_4 New Member

I also recently had the same experience with a mount drying quite quickly! I did consider it before I finished up...but I thought there was no way a big ol northern WI buck would dry up over night. To my surprise it was pretty stiff in the morning and I had a considerable amount of things shift around they eyes. So I got a decent education in rehydrating and was able to tune everything back to where it belongs. Next time will definitely bag the head/face when its this dry out!

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I like to mount a cape that is on the dry side and the hair drier yet. As I am mounting and after, I spray water on the eyes and nose with a spray bottle. Not soak it, just a light spray. Bag it for a few days and it's good to go.