1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Squirrel mount question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by JerseyJays, Jan 26, 2016.

1. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Hey all.
    I learned to "preserve" a squirrel skin by soaking 24 hrs in denatured alcohol. .. that worked fine but being professional I have been sending them to the tannery when the rare occasion I need to mount one comes up.
    I have the need to mount one this week, and I don't want to wait for the tannery, or materials..
    I have denatured alcohol which I will use, but I also have stop rot and dry preservative. (Not sure if there is a better way than alcohol by using those products?)
    I have pro 1 hide paste or can get any type of glue from home depot if bettwr adhesion with those products mentioned.
    Please advise if you have a tip that will work best for my rushed need.
    Thanks

2. JerseyJays

Ps, this is a personal mount, not for a client, so method really doesn't matter for me as long as it gets done and doesn't go bald or stink lol

3. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

Hey Jay, why don'tyou just pickel it, nneutraliz, and use some Mckenzie tan ? Easy simple.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

DP will be fine. Stop-Rot and DP may be even better. My DP'd squirrels are just as good looking (or as bad looking) as my tanned ones and have lasted just as long.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Ditto. And just so that some the purists in here don't know - obviously they don't - one man, Henry Wichers Inchemuk was a museum taxidermist who specialized in small mammal taxidermy. If you go back into his books or even look at the most current work he did just a few years back before he died, he used DENATURED ALCOHOL.

6. JerseyJays

Will pro 1 paste work with dp? If not, I'll just use denatured alcohol on this one because I've got proof it works hanging on my wall for 10 years now

7. JerseyJays

I don't own any and no time to wait for a delivery. Need to mount this guy up by Thursday

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have no experience with denatured alcohol, so I have no comment to make on that, however, I do know that most hide pastes do not like DP and I believe, but am not certain, that Pro-1 is one of those that don't like DP. I have never used hide paste on a squirrel, but have heard that 2part epoxy paste works good on DP.

9. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I'm with Tanglewood, I don't use hide paste on squirrels...no need for it in my opinion.

Flesh your squirrel, wash, towel dry, give him a good rub down with DP and mount him up...doesn't get any easier than that.

10. JerseyJays

Thanks for the info