1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Another Krowtan Question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Jon S, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

I was thinking of giving Krowtan a try on whitetail capes. I have only ever used Liquatan so far. I have read on here about Krowtan giving good stretch, if cape is shaved well. I only have a mini flesher, so I can't get capes as thin as with a fleshing wheel. Has anyone used Krowtan with mini flesher and had good results with good stretch - Or should I stick with the Liquatan?
    I am thinking that an immersion type tan might help me out on capes that are kind of iffy.

2. verne

verne Well-Known Member

There`s only one way to find out ; It`s to try it your self and all your questions will be answered . Should work fine . ;)

3. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

I use krowtann and a mini flesher and do not have a lot of stretch but enough to get the skin to original size. On my next deer I am going to use krow-oil also. I can get the skin as thin as I want with little extra work.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Stick with the liqua-tan. It's been around for years and known as one of the best rub on tans. Heck even tanneries still use it to this day, cause it's that good.

If your not stretch, it's because it's not this enough. I have used it for years and always got the same measurements as I did prior to the tan. Also used mini-flesher for years too.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I was using Liqua tan and then tried Krowtan. When most of the bottle of Krowtan was gone, mostly because I dropped the bottle with the lid off, I switched back to Liqua tan. I like Liqua tan a thousand times better.

6. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I did just order some more Liquatan. After looking at the Knobloch's website I picked up a few more tips that should help me out - its all in the details.

7. Krowtann works great. for liqi tan to work as well you have to go through the pickle. So Krowtann and the mini flesher will do fine and then Krow oil the cape. awesome stretch

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yep. I pickle before applying Liqua tan.

9. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

Krowtann is alot easier to use, you do have to thin it down really well to get the strech, it can be done with mini flesher make sure you have a sharp blade in it with the depth set really thin so you don't rip holes and make short passes till you see the blue color, skife the face.

10. exactly..