1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How wet. Should. Cape be

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Eglily56, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Eglily56

Eglily56 Member

I'm mounting my 1St deer . How wet should I t be when I put it one form

2. If water is dripping on the floor that is way too wet. After my final rinse in the sink I have an old washing machine I put the cape into to spin out any excess water it may have in it. I just us the spin cycle. After 4 to 5 min the cape is perfect.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Hair completely dry, skin slightly damp.

4. Noble

Noble New Member

why does it matter how wet or dry the hide is? Is there a purpose for let the hair dry out first, is there another way to get hide to proper state of dryness without using a washing machine?

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I don't like a sloppy wet cape dripping all over the floor, diluting the hide paste, turning clay work into a gooey mess, taking a long time to dry with a slicked down looking hair that can start to mold. A damp dry cape equals no watery mess on the floor, moist clay that stays firm, hair that is fluffy and natural looking from the git go, making grooming easier, dries faster if you don't bag it, and more power grab by the hide paste. Most adhesives work best in the least presence of moisture. I wring out the cape, hang it for a while and then wrap it in towels and squeeze as I roll. I leave it like that for about half an hour, then get dry towels and repeat until it is the dry ness I want.

6. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

Cape about as damp as a towel that has dried two people.