1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Broken Bear Skull ?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by adbrooks8, Jan 29, 2016.

1. I have a bear skull I'm working on that was shot in the face. The right side of the lower jaw is broken in 3 pieces and the back side of the brain cavity is busted up pretty good. My question is, is elmers strong enough to hold these large bones together? I usually use elmers so I can dip in paraloid. The customer knows the situation so I'm not concerned with trying to rebuild missing pieces with apoxie. He said to do what I can to put the pieces back together as it's first bear and he knows what he did. I'd post pics but photobuckets down at the moment, will post soon if I can. Thanks guys and gals(Seawolf usually).

2. marshtaxi

marshtaxi Member

utah
    I think it works okay the problem is with holding the pieces together long enough for it to set. I usually use elmers for the most part and a super glue almost like a tack weld to hold it in place.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Start assembling the pieces you have. Do a couple at a time, let the glue dry and then fit in another piece. If you have enough pieces you should be able to get most of it back together. With the brain case, test fit pieces to see if there is any distortion. Elmers will hold up well with that as you will be fitting pieces back together and the edges will provide enough surface area for a good bond. As you get the rear part put back together, putting a layer of apoxie on the back, inside the brain case, of the broken area will help to add some strength to the repair from the inside as well.

4. Kurt27

Kurt27 New Member

Use Gorilla super glue "blue cap". It dries fast, clear, and shock proof. Like sea wolf said, take your time and do 1 or 2 pieces at a time, just get it "whole" again and the customer will be happy with that. Especially if you send them a pic of how bad it was previously. Makes them appreciate you more

5. Thanks yall! Slowly getting it back together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Damn.