1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Changing a mounted upright to semi sneak

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jkjohn, Jan 29, 2016.

1. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

I have a customer that brought in a mount that he wants me to change it from an upright to a semi sneak.I mounted it for him last year so I know it was commercially tanned.He is willing he pay whatever it cost but he wants to keep the same cape it is very unique. would prefer not to do a total remount I was just wondering what y'all would do in this case.I thought about rehydrating the cape from the head down,rolling cape down to where the head adjoins the neck,chop it,apply a semi sneak form by the same sculptor,blend with clay and reglue the hide back. What is y'all's opinions on easiest way this task should be done.Thanks!!!

2. Idk what to tell you would be easiest... I do know I'm still shaking my head thinking why?...

3. buckman170

buckman170 Member

I would just remount it, the original cape my have some memory to the the upright pose, but it can be done. Charge what you need to and do it right. Good luck!

4. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

In my opinion the easiest way for what you want done is to get a new form and take the cape off the form it is on now and remount it.
    If you just change the head you arent going to have a semi sneak, the difference between semi sneak and upright starts at the shoulders...

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I would tell him to go shoot another deer and have you mount it in that pose. That way there is no chance of you ruining his mounted deer. He chose the pose, did he not? This isn't like changing the color of the nose pad. Can it be done, it sounds like it, but why risk it? Good luck

6. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

Thanks for all of yalls input! I just got off the phone with him once again and just told him the price will be as much, or more than the original mount price...He decided to just live with it.. lol Im glad because I really did not want to mess with it!

7. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Yup on stuff like that, quote them 5k so they can change their mind real fast.

8. Interesting post. Do yourself a favor and don't do it. First of all I don't think you know what you're in for when it comes to rehydrating the cape and redoing it. There's a lot of factors to consider. What kind of glue did you use and how well did it adhere to the form. How easy is going to to mount up, etc. etc. etc. I have never done it nor would I want to do it. I would have to ask the question why would changing the pose from one to the other make a huge difference to the point a person is willing to pay no matter what it cost! Trust me costly is what it would be! Remember this one customer isn't going to hurt your business if you have a business. You're better off talking to the individual and explaining what it would take with no guarantees it's going to go smooth or work out where it looks fine afterword. Remember it's totally up to you. Some people would probably think this isn't a big deal but they don't know anything about taxidermy. Anyway it's just not worth it IMO.