1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Buffalo Horns - How do I clean them?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Ginger2000, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Paul, yup, the horns were like that before the bath! They seem fine after the bath too~

Seawolf, I honestly don't mind the two deep grooves, but the flaky parts near the ends of the horns do bother me slightly, I'd like to smooth them out.
    I'll buy a bottle of both this week but will wait until the horns are dry. I'm keeping them in my room since the shed's a little damp. :/

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Wait until you have sanded the roughness out before rubbing on the turp/oil mix. The picture below is a set of ram horns that I rubbed down with this mixture. They were very faded and washed out in color before I did. Should have taken a "before" picture.

[​IMG]

3. Gorgeous!

And yup, I am going to wait before I do anything with the oil/spirits.

I've already picked up a bottle of turpentine, but the linseed oil has vanished on me again. It was at the local Holland and Barrett's store the last time I seen it (when I didn't need it) but they don't have it now. I have found raw linseed oil online at HomeBase, it's used for hardwood there. Same stuff, right?

4. Sea Wolf

I think what the painters use is called "boiled". It dries faster. The info on the 50/50 mix came from George Roof. He would be the best one to ask for sure. I made a bottle of the mix and I think I used boiled linseed. I have since tossed out the original container. Not sure if the Advanced Search would bring up any info on it.

5. I picked up boiled linseed oil (from the same place as the raw linseed oil) a few days ago. Today, sanded the horns a bit then applied the linseed/turpentine mix!

[​IMG]

I think they're looking pretty good atm~ Just waiting for them to dry.

6. Sea Wolf

Great before and after pic too.

7. Thanks~

Both of them are completely coated now and I've used bulldog clips to hang them up to dry. Stuff seems like it takes it's sweet time drying though, haha.

8. Sea Wolf

Yeah, it took a few days here. The boiled linseed takes a shorter time to dry which is why you use it.

9. HuntersUnion

HuntersUnion Member

Can you post a pic of the horns once they are dry? Would you use the same mix on a long horn type horn?

10. Sea Wolf

That dark colored one should stay that way. It works great on any horn or antler. Just wipe it on with a rag and let it dry.

11. Sorry to let this post fall down the list. I'll skip excuses and go straight to pics of the horns since they've been dry and ready to go for a while now!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used the same mix on Waterbuck horns too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both sets were sealed with Modpodge Matte. Still working on the skulls but at least these are ready!

12. Sea Wolf

Looks nice.