1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Nictating membrane

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by popeandyoung, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Looking for advice. I'm going to use the real membrane on a bobcat. I sprayed them with stop rot when I skinned and refroze. Is that sufficient or do I need to do more. Thanks for the help. Brett

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

If it doesn't shrink up on you and curl after mounting it will be fine. I sometimes use the real one from deer if I feel like skinning out.

3. Thanks Paul

4. TaxiMedic1

TaxiMedic1 New Member

We save all of them (deer, elk, lion, bear, fox, bobcat, ect...) and toss them in a jar of denatured alcohol.

5. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Not to hijack the thread but how do you prevent them from wrinkling? I've tried super gluing them to glass eyes and they still dry and wrinkle. Maybe just the alcohol is better.

6. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

You will need to thin them. I keep em in DA until I'm ready to use a set. Get em out, thin them down very thin, and coat with liquitan. You can dry them on the eye to get them to hold the shape if you want to. When I put them in place I glue them to the eyeball with quality hide paste ;) Thats just how I do it, but thinning is not optional.

7. 1stturkey

1stturkey Member

Thank you, O'Hare. The thinning step is apparently what I have skipped in the past.