1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anyone have laying down duck reference?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jon_wilhelm, Jan 31, 2016.

1. I've been searching google images and the reference photo section of this site, but I can't seem to find reference of a live duck laying down with its leg out to the side. I've seen them mounted this way before and have even tried it once without reference. I would like to mount another this way and was trying to find a photo I could look off of.

I've seen some beautiful mounts done this way, but I know it's better to use a live bird for reference.

Thanks.

2. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Jon

Earlier I was going to post, I have yet to see that in the years I have been watching them. Then just yesterday I saw a drake goldeneye stick out his lower leg/foot when he was laying down. I was too slow to get the camera out to snap a picture for you. He didn't use the foot for any grooming/preening -- just came out for brief time and then he tucked it back underneath himself. I will keep trying to get a picture for you. But it may take awhile (years . . . .) if at all.

Dan

3. bucksnort10

I assume you meant on land. If not, here is one I took of a goldeneye a couple years ago.

Attached Files:

4. Thanks bucksnort. I played around with laying down poses and finally found one that I thought looked natural on my bird. However if you ever do get a photo like that I would love to see it, but no rush :D

I was thinking of a duck on land but that goldeneye on the water is great as well. It would be an interesting pose for a mount.

Thanks again for the response.

5. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Some of these arent the best pics but I hope this is what youre looking for.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]This one is behind the grass.[​IMG]

7. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Another mount by me. But dont use as a reference![​IMG][​IMG]

8. silverfox

silverfox New Member

I thought I had some more on my phone but must have deleted them. I'll keep looking.

9. Thanks Silverfox :)

Those are the type of poses I was thinking about. Thanks for finding those for me.

Beautiful mount by the way.

10. bucksnort10

with a band to boot . . .

Attached Files:

• leg1.JPG
      leg1.JPG
      File size:
      125.4 KB
      Views:
  11. bucksnort10

another view ;)

Attached Files:

12. Very nice, thanks again Dan. Excellent photography. Must be a great location to photograph ducks.

13. bucksnort10

You are welcome Jon. I am glad to help you out.

I just love going there. :)
    If you need any other shots, let me know.
    It is fun to watch the different species to see all their different personalities.