1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help with bears

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Mountainman Vic, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Mountainman Vic

Mountainman Vic New Member

Hi gang, I am hoping someone can help me out with this. In the past I mounted a number of different animals such as coyotes and bobcats. I’ve never done many bear but have done a few that were half mounts and were all small bear in the 90 to 120 pound range which didn't create much problem. Well this year I got a few in to do (which have a little more size to them) and I got into them and I’m having some frustration with them. I measured the carcasses to get the form size and now I seem to have areas that seem to have too much skin/hide that I can’t get rid of. One of the areas that seems to be worst is between the jaw and the shoulders but also have some on the legs. I’ve cut relief cuts in the pits of the shoulders but the hide don’t seem to go that direction. To add to my confusion I Google images of bears with mange because it allows me to see the hide of the bear and I notice that bears a wrinkly critters. So how am I supposed to/how do you handle this?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Somewhere on here, I have a post entitled "What I know about bears". Type that in the SEARCH block. It may help you.

3. dcooper

dcooper Member

Here's George's post. A lot of info in this, so I'm sure it will help.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,148325.0.html

4. Mountainman Vic

Mountainman Vic New Member

Thanks George. That's a lot of good info. I'm going to have to read through that a few time and make a few more mistakes to get the grasp of everything.

5. Most bears I've done are always way off at some part of the form regardless of how careful you measure. Lots of alterations cause each bear is so different. I can have the chest and head fit great but the neck is off and the legs are too long. Georges' info helped me a lot also.