1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Missouri - Looking to learn, help, get started

Discussion in 'Training' started by Garret_21, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Garret_21

Garret_21 New Member

Alright, I live a fairly busy life with two kids and a full time job. I am a teacher/coach in the Springfield MO area and have always been interested in taxidermy. This is not something that I want to be my only source of income or possibly ever do it for a profit but I would love to help, learn or pay someone for "lessons." When I was in college I use to hang out regularly at a taxidermist in the Springfield area, but with my class schedule I was not able to maintain consistancy.

Honestly I like all parts of taxidermy, but I am absolutely blown away bird taxidermy. Turkeys, waterfowl, upland you name it. I feel like I would like to be exposed to all varieties but would lean towards a bird focus. Just let me know if you guys have any suggestions, I am close to Linn Mo school, but I do not know if a school is a fit for me. There might be a taxidermist around that needs the floors swept and trash taken out that needs a set of extra hands around

Thanks

2. You mean Linn Creek Mo.

3. Garret_21

Garret_21 New Member

Linn Creek, MO yes sorry right outside of Camdenton where the crappie like to bite lol

4. MTI

MTI Member

Garret 21,
    With your schedule, taxidermy school may be difficult for you. I understand your question. If you get a free day. You are welcome to come by the school for a visit. Decide if our school is right for you. We do not currently have a class in progress, but you are welcome. Or wait and come when we have a class. You can visit with the students and take a look at what they are doing. We will be happy to provide you with a list of former students you can contact for a reference. Call Carrie, she will send you an information packet, and set up a visit. Or, if you are in the area, just drop in. Our hours are 9-5 Mon- Fri. But, I'm usually here working late. (573) 346-6871
    Chip

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Trying to learn taxidermy, a hands on profession, from a DVD is a waste of time. Your way better off spending some time with Chip and Carrie.

6. MTI

MTI Member

Thank you, Bill.

7. Robmoore79

Robmoore79 New Member

I am a recent Graduate of Missouri Taxidermy Institute, and am now very successful in my business. All of my clients love my work and all the detail that I put into their mounts. All of my new success is all thanks to Chip, Carrie, and Melvin. The instructions go into great detail so that the student may learn all the tricks of trade to become great taxidermists. I myself as well as my business partner whom is also a graduate of MTI will gladly and wholeheartedly recommend this school to anyone whom is interested in taxidermy. So you sir need to know your facts before you bash anyone or any business. The only down fall to this school is that Carrie is one of the greatest cooks I know and you will get fat, but then again that's not much of a down fall. I don't know anyone who doesn't like to eat good food. To Chip and the family, love you all and keep doing what you do because you guys and gals are awesome at it. Fell free to give my name and number as a reference to anyone who is interested.

Rob Moore
    All Creatures Taxidermy
    606-854-4257
    US Army Vet Retired

8. MTI

MTI Member

Rob,
    I really appreciate the testimonial. Glad things are working well for you and Bill. Definitely not surprised though. If you need anything, give me a call.
    Thanks again
    Chip