1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Driftwood wall mount for flock

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by mitch_foster15, Feb 4, 2016.

1. I've begun working on a five duck piece (buffleheads) that eventually will all be mounted on the wall as a flock flying by. I have a piece of driftwood that is 6 feet long(if it was straight it would be longer). It has a curve on both ends. I'm having trouble brainstorming on how to securely attatch it to the wall, including the weight of five mounts. I'm not home to check but I think it would be a stretch for it to be the right spacing to where both ends could be cut flush with the wall and screwed into studs.

One of my thoughts was to cut it into sections, and anchor them all into a small oval piece that would attach to the wall. This would shorten the habitats overall length and bunch the ducks closely together, which I'm not sure I want to do.

Any suggestions..?

2. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

When using a long piece of driftwood for multiple birds and you want to hang it, simply find the center and put a hanger there if it touches the wall. Then measure out to a spot along the driftwood that will also touch the wall and measure to that spot in 16 inch increments . Now do the same going in the opposite direction and place a hanger there. If your wall studs are 24" on center simply adjust the measurements to fit. Also if the driftwood is gnarly simply screw on a suitable block of stained wood to the driftwood to make the fit. A three point attachment on a long piece should be adequate support for your needs. Good luck...JL

3. Thank you JL, The incremental stud idea was last call because Im unsure as of now the distance between studs, and thought one stud attachment would suffice. I'll pull out the stud finder after school and bingo!

4. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

You could use a non tilt hanger something like the super lock hanger van dykes sales . mount it to a stud , mount it in the center .