1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

form lengthy

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Eglily56, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Eglily56

Eglily56 Member

I.have a cape.that is 71/4x20. I bought a form 71/4 x191/2 aggressive offset shoulder Ben mears. I can tell by looking the form is way to short for the cape. From the base of the ears to.the end of the form on the top of the back is roughly twelve inches. What can I do.to.make it fit? I read an article that said u should never extend a form to make.a cape fit length ways in a neck

2. austin_0_4

austin_0_4 New Member

I'm no expert but, I have had this a handful of times...or so I thought. The first time around I tried to lengthen the neck. I know guys have done this but I didn't have much luck and really wasn't happy with the end result. So on the others I have left it as is and even though in my head the form was too short, all the skin taxi' nicely and found its place. Seems like capes tend to stretch lengthwise in the tanning process as well, which I think contributes to our thoughts that the form is too short.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Fold the skin around the back, staple and cut off excess. Make sure everything is where it belongs first, such as the throat patch and the brisket area.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Some of the Ben Mears forms are short in the neck when compared to other manufactures. Not all of them but a wall peds and the one you mentioned I have used were as you said. I have added an inch to the neck and it made all the difference in the fit, wasn't a Mears though. You can stack the cape and it will fit but your taxi skills will be needed to get wrinkles where they are suppose to be.

5. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

[​IMG]
    It will fit

6. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

Was this cape measured after tanning. Shaving streches a cape lengthwise. Stretch the cape widthwise and remeasure.

7. birddogguy

birddogguy Member

There are lots of tutorials on modifying manikins'

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Well color me confused here. How can a shoulder form be too short? It doesn't matter when the cape was measured for the length.

9. Cajun Dan

Cajun Dan New Member

How exactly is the form too short?