1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dirt base help asap

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by nkgillil, Feb 12, 2016.

1. nkgillil

nkgillil New Member

Hey guys got a quick question, after researching some I made a habitat base for a deer pedestal, i used elmers wood glue to coat the bottom of the base then spread peat moss over it... Now that it's dry I've read that people use 50/50 mix of glue and water to spray over top of the peat moss to hold it down/preserve it. Well I tested this first on another scrap piece of board and it turned out with a lot of white dots on the dirt(doesn't look bad but not the natural look I'm trying to accomplish)... My question is I used a 50/50 mix of elmers wood glue and water in a spray bottle to test it out. Does wood glue not dry clear? Or should I just use 50/50mix of regular white Elmer school glue? I also saw someone used flat matte enamel like a clear coat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Kyle

2. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Use regular Elmer's white glue, not the school glue or the wood glue. You can adjust the mix a little depending on how dry or wet you want your dirt to look. I brush it on rather than spraying, either works. Or spray with a matte clear spray. Try and see what you like best.

3. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

use 50/50 white elmer's glue , it will dry clear . I put it all in a bowl and mix it up where all of the potting soil is covered with the glue mix , by doing it like that is no need to spray over it . Some of your white dots maybe in your potting soil if you look . Be careful if you get it to wet it can cause your wood base to warp

4. nkgillil

nkgillil New Member

Thanks guys I appreciate it