1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Distorted deer skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by huntfish85, Feb 13, 2016.

1. huntfish85

huntfish85 New Member

Has anyone ever had a European mount twist. Had it in with the beetles for a week and the nose now has a noticeable curve to it. Any info would be appreciated. Here is a pic of another one I found while searching http://micetomoose.blogspot.com/2008/05/crooked-nose-deer-skull.html?m=1

2. akvz

akvz New Member

It wouldn't twist like that with the beetles, or any cleaning method for that matter. (Barring some things like vinegar for a long time to remove the calcium & leave collagen but that's another topic and even then-- it would not have that sort of patina to it.)

More likely it is a genetic abnormality or possibly even a physical injury that healed wonky. Deer get up to strange things... including their own cousins... so either one is a real possibility with them. It may have just been that the nose looked straighter with flesh & muscle on it and with the beetles at work, you're seeing the bone for what it is. It could also be that they've moved the nasals over each other a bit if it's a young deer, as the nasals are pretty loose...

3. Kurt27

Kurt27 New Member

I had that exact thing last season and I assumed it had some sort of trauma or its twin kicked it in the face in the womb.....idk but I do know it wasn't anything I did to it, I'm sure the same goes for yours. This year I took in multiple buck that had serious trauma to the nose, I figure it's from fighting.

4. huntfish85

huntfish85 New Member

Pretty sure it was straight when it went in. But who knows maybe it just looked different with meat on. Didn't know if it could have been over dried. My bug room is ran off outdoor wood stove and gets really dry this time of year.