1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stop rot for fish?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Dannynewman, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

Has any one used this for preservation method, the instructions say to apply to flesh side of skin and also outside of thick areas on the head and throat, any a advice on this before I try

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yes I have used it but first off don't take it as a cure all to leaving meat , fat on the fish. It still should be cleaned properly. It's a good aid in injecting the tongue to control some shrinkage and the inside of heads if your using a real head. It also helps retain marking on a fish but when I paint them I look at reference to put it back in.

It's just an aid in preserving fish.

3. RTF

RTF Active Member

All the time. Never would be without a bottle. When I smooth out the skin on the form my sponge is soaked with Stop Rot. All fins are also sprayed down just prior to carding. The inside of the mouth and gills are also heavily sprayed down after mounting. You can never use too much Stop-Rot.

4. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Never used Stop Rot in 65 years in the business. My method is to quickly skin the fish then throw the skin in a pure denatured alcohol bath for twelve hours or overnight. Then re-hydrate it in a salt brine bath, then mount it up. Works for me. JL

5. Dannynewman

Sweet, thanks for advice yall

6. den007

den007 Active Member

Never used the stuff……..b ut curious if anyone knows what the "magic" ingredient in it is that is any better than DA.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Dennis, featured alcohol and methanol are petroleum based preservatives. Though the formula for StopRot is proprietary, it absorbs and works at the molecular level. Good buddy Glenn Conley was a microbiologist who discovered a combination of chemicals that prevented the cell from putrifying. While the petroleum based products evaporate and dissipate leaving the skin hard and dry, StopRot has performed its magic that will prevent the skin from rotting away and shrinking.

8. den007

den007 Active Member

Sounds like it is worth a try! Thanks George.

9. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I used to use a fish tan .. been awhile since Ive done a skin mount and I have 2 to do soon... I cast my own heads, but as for the skin, if I brush the stop rot on the skin, do I still need to "tan"with something else? Do you just brush it on or do you soak it in the stop rot overnight?
    Please advise on the steps and glues you prefer. I carve my own bodies and usually used paste but like I said, it's been awhile and the paste has gone bad I'm sure ... so before I buy new paste and fish tan, I'd like to know if stop rot and pro 1 hide paste will work?paste may be too thick.. thoughts?

10. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Pro -1................

I've never used Stop Rot for anything, but I did just use some Pro-1 hide paste for the 88 inch alligator gar.

:)

Kerby...

11. Dannynewman

It says to brush stop rot on flesh side of skin and on the fins and let soak in for 30 minutes, then to also brush on the outside of skin in thicker areas around the head and troat

12. Dannynewman

Supposedly the fish is then ready to mount