1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Airbrush/paint ??

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by apache lady, Feb 13, 2016.

1. I've read several of the airbrush and paint threads, but I'm still having a heck of a time with mine. I have an old Paasche VL (at least 20 years old) and I'm using Lifetone lacquer based paints. I'm using a standard large garage compressor (my husbands, and I recently drained all the water from it) with a separate regular with a water filter between the compressor hose and the airbrush hose. No matter how much I mess with the thing, it's starts to gum up and spit. Just when I get a great tiny or thin paint going, then nothing and splat! So frustrating. I've tried adding retarder with no results. What am I doing wrong? I'ts gotta be operator error, because all the treads I've read people seem to be using the same products with excellent results. Even cleaning the airbrush, I'm getting color in the bottle with the clean lacquer thinner. What the heck? Oh, and I'm at about 35lbs pressure, recommended in the airbrush instructions (yes I still have them ;D ) Help!

2. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

Not sure on your brush. I have an Iwata and use small air compresor with good water filter and 5-10 lbs pressure. Maybe try thinner rather than retarder.

3. I may just give the whole thing a soak. I'm suspicious there might be some old paint clogged somewhere, I haven't used it in several years.

4. Ok, gave it a good soak and cleaning, not much better results. I ran a bunch of thinner through it and I can hear it " spit, spit, spit". Got some thinned paint through it and when I use the smaller needle, it gums up in about 2 seconds. I'm out of retarder, but will that make a difference? I can see the paint just gumming up on the tip. I tried 10lbs pressure to 40, doesn't push any paint with the lower pressure. Getting to be real frustrating!

5. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Probably time for a new air brush, I think they get a build up over time that is hard to remove. Also may have some damage to the tip which can be hard to see. A Paasche H is fairly reasonable.

6. disassemble your air brush and clean it really well, make sure the cone shape tip is very clean, reassemble the brush, thin your lacquer paint 50/50 with lacquer thinner, use 10-20psi air....I use to have the gumming and splatters as your describing until I started thinning my paint 50/50

7. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

Use more lacquer thinner ,ditch the paint retardant

8. birddogguy

birddogguy Member

You may want to check the needle for nicks or bent tip.