1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Paint Brush Artists

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by RTF, Feb 14, 2016.

1. RTF

RTF Active Member

Anyone know who in the fish taxidermy world would be considered one of the best fish painters using a paint brush for most of the work instead of an airbrush. And if so what type of paints are they or were using.

2. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Years ago we all painted ( 65yrs ) with paintbrushes and applied the paint as a wash ( thinned down paint ) then followed up with smaller brushes for the details that had to be painted. Then came the airbrush ( my first was a Binks ) and that has pretty well taken over the fish painting work. Today we have entered another advancement as the industry moves on......applying powders rather than "paint" or a combination of each. This is probably the closest to painting with a paint brush as you will find today....and in my honest opinion I rate my good friend Rick Krane as the top of that list today. Will we return to the paint brushes to paint our mounted fish and re-pros? History has a habit of repeating itself so we might revert to another combination of all the methods used today. Who knows? Just my opinion....JL

Sotired and Beltonbanger like this.

3. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Josh Knuth is also an outstanding 'paint brush' fish artist.................IMHO.

Richs Taxidermy and Sotired like this.
  4. I think Tim Overbaugh uses paint brushes a lot. His stuff is also mind blowing, like Mr. Knuth's.

5. RTF

RTF Active Member

Someone on these forums a while ago stated that they knew somebody who used oil paints to paint fish and could take a blue ribbon any day doing it. Cant find the thread and it might have even been posted onto the "old" forums when this site first started out.

6. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

there was a lady on here who hand painted her fish...and good looking work at that

7. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

You may be referring to Dale Cornetet (deceased) of Michigan. I've seen some of his hand painted fish and IMO they were world class. I picked this fish out of the archives...hand painted by Dale C. I wish I had some macro photos this fish because the closer you look the more lifelike detail you can see. Absolutely phenomenal hand painting.
    [​IMG]

John C likes this.
  8. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

I know I use a brush a lot and I like it. And I don't have to keep cleaning my paint cups and airbrush in between colors lollol, but that's kinda true. I especially like it for small details. Its also easier for me mixing different colors instead of trying to get the right mix and ratio of colors of spray paint. I can apply it thick or in washes. I don't know other guys on here that use a brush except for JKnuth and that dudes a freak

9. Dales fish were some of the best work I've ever seen and Dale never owned a airbrush. Another great fish artist that comes to mind that paints by hand is Bob Berry.

John C likes this.
  10. RTF

RTF Active Member

Thank you Perca for that post.

11. RTF

RTF Active Member

Can anyone tell me if Ron Pittard ever picked up an airbrush?

12. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Dales' fish were impressive for sure

13. UFD

UFD New Member

When discussing who are top fish taxidermy artists who paint nearly exclusively with a hand brush, it would be an obvious error to fail to mention Pete Harum. Pete not only paints all his fish mounts with a hand brush after *sometimes* spraying a base coat with an airbrush, but he's also a fantastic flat artist who can create depth in a painting that captures a three dimensional look. It has been immensely inspirational to see the results of his approach to the fish taxidermy art.

14. UFD

UFD New Member

I've been fortunate to closely view about a dozen of Ron Pittard's outstanding and revolutionary fish replica works (two are hanging above me as I type this) and can confidently say that Ron used both a hand brush and an air brush fairly equally.

15. Joe Soucie

Joe Soucie New Member

I have a Ron Pittard Mounted and Signed Fish for sale in my antique mall space in Gresham Oregon. I paid Alot of money for it. It appears that no one wants as it's been for sale for over a year. Is it Junk? I feel like smashing the damn thing.

16. Dont Smash it I dont know Ron or his art. Fish are hard to sell, I am a Taxidermist and an antler artist been doing both for 40 yrs its a hard way to make a living