1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

African trophy sales?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by ortegageno, Feb 14, 2016.

1. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    This may be a dumb question but here it goes. Is there really that many hunters that go to Africa and come back and don't get their trophies mounted. What I'm trying to understand is there are always posts on the for sale section of alot of African stuff.

2. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

To answer your question, most hunters returning from Africa do so with the intent to have their trophies mounted. Especially on their first trip. However, when you consider the added costs of African Dip&pack, permits, crating/shipping, import fees, import brokers, tannery and taxidermy some of them start to change their minds or narrow their choices on what to mount and what do as euros or what to discard. Sometimes, they don't realize how much it will all cost until they get everything back and then get cold feet or their wives step in. On several common species like Impala the hunter might shot two and then decides to do mount only one. The other goes up for sale. Same goes for back skins and other skull/horns that were saved and processed for import. You also know that many first or second timers will shoot several trophies of various species. I took eight species on my first hunt there which is about average. With those numbers there is bound to be an excess capes, etc especially following the reality of the true costs filtering in. Most hunters are advised by friends and others to bring everything back so they can maintain the option to decide later. Those going on multiple trips tend to narrow their focus over time on select species which are more likely to be mounted in the end. Others decide spending all that money on full mounts prevents them from going back, so cheaper euro mounts get selected and the the capes are sold to recoup the costs of their processing. I'm sure there's many other various reasons I haven't listing here.

3. AZ~Rich

I also think some of the for sale posts are coming from brokers who are in the business of importing numbers of unwanted parts from Africa. Say the hunter decides he only wants a euro of the animal he just shot and not anything else. The PH will then instruct the skinners to cape it out or skin it for life size so that this hide can be sold to these brokers. A lot of game is taken on thes hunts, sometimes as culls or for leopard baits. Local African taxidermists also get plenty in that never gets paid for or it abandoned by hunters already home that balk at the costs they now face. It all adds up and some of that is eventually offered thru those vendors on our "for sale" forum.

4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

as above, most all the skins you see for sale on here are the extra capes from hunters taking more than one of the species...this is very common.. my African clients usually take two or three of each of the plains game animals...

5. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    That make sense now. Thanks

6. Nathan

Nathan Active Member

Having gone to Africa in 2015, the breakdown goes something like this: Prior to the dip and pack process, the printed cost for such services is about 125.00 per animal, if the hunter has 5 animals, the billl should ve around 625.00, right?, then when the dip and pack is done, the hunter gets a bill f0r 1200.00, which he pays because he wants his trophies. After that, he gets a bill for about 500.00 for crating, which he does not expect, but he pays it because he wants his trophies. At this point, the trophies go to a shipper, who charges about 600.00 to ship the trophies to the U.S. The guy pays this fee because he wants his trophies. Well, after the trophies get the U.S., the guy has to dish out another 300-400 dollars to clear his shipment with customs, then another fee to get his stuff to the taxidermist. After reaching back for his wallet, he discovers that not only is his ass sore, but his wallet is now empty, and there is not much left for the taxidermist, so he ends up selling off some of his trophies. Now, does that make sense?

7. Another question
    Today! I had a customer come in whom had been to africa a year ago.
    In his conversation he told me he had taken 11 animals. He left it all in Africa to be mounted and shipped back.
    He then proceeded to tell me how much cheeper it was to do so. After he quoted me a few prices . I was in a little disbelief.
    He then showed me the invoice on his phone.
    Kudo sho.400.00 Eland sho. 450.00 everting was around the 400.00 dollar mark.
    Now the question
    How in the hell can they do it for that?
    Tanning fee and form would cost that.

8. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Wait till you see it...then you will understand!! :-\

9. AZ~Rich

Yes, I've been to a few taxidermist operations over in S Africa including one of the most reputable which employees a small army of local native help. They do their own tanning, pour their own forms, and pay very little for the labor. Some of their work comes out "ok" and some is worse than that but very little of it is good to excellent. Of course there always are exceptions and there are some talented artists producing good quality. However, unless the taxidermist is the sole one doing the mount it's a crap shoot as to quality. Too many hands involved in it IMO. The other rub your African hunter now faces is the much more expensive crating and shipping charges to get those finished mounts back to his home.

10. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

exactly, after the huge shipping charges to get the crappy finished mounts back to the states no money was saved at all and he was actually a looser because of the quality of the work.....

11. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    So what you all are saying is that I can go to Africa and kill my 5 favorite animals, donate them to villagers and bring nothing back saving alot of money. Then buy them here on taxinet for a hell of alot cheaper. Lol