1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing wheel

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jmoffitt23, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Just starting out and am wanting to do this for a hobby. Just fleshed my first deer and all I have are scalpels and knife. Just looking for good but affordable fleshing wheels or machines. Can't spend a lot but tryin to find an easier way. Just looking for suggestions or ideas.

2. czykdbcz

czykdbcz Artist or just crazy

va
    good luck finding one cheap

3. Well I will probably only be doing maybe 4 or 5 whitetail a year. Trying to find the best machine for the work I'm doing. Don't need the biggest and best. But also don't want to buy one that's to small or a piece of junk. Any suggestions?

4. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I haven't heard any negative talk about the Dakota Pro! The one Van Dykes handles. All positive. I personally liked the Eager Beaver - but I don't know if it's still available. Another good machine. A lifetime investment! Lots of the EB's in Tanneries I've worked at - they seem to take the day after day production rate and keep on "trucking".

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Don't settle for cheaper. I bought my Dakota Pro at a time I had no money,but, I had a business credit card. It was well worth the purchase and interest I paid. It paid for it's self in less than a year.

6. I know a lot of people don't feel the same way but if you have a good air compressor already the flesh all mini flesher is a good buy but if you don't have the compressor the set up is more than a Dakota.

7. You can get a mini flesher for around $200, maybe cheaper for used one

8. birddogguy

birddogguy Member

4 or 5 capes a year would be better to send out to a tannery and leave the fleshing to them.

9. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I started out 5 years ago and bought the foredom tool (don't know what to call it) its got a foot control and you can get all kinds of bits to fit it. but my mini fllesher attaches to it and I like it because its electric so its quiet and plenty powerful and i don't need to buy a big compresser. I'm growing my business and some time will get a big one but this works fine for now. I can shave deer down including the face in around a hour. so cost its probably mid way I cant remember what I paid anymore. My advice is this works great for 5 deer a year, if you plan on growing your business then get the good one. I'm at 15 deer this year and its still OK but I can see where it would be nice to get a new one.

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I look at it this way. If you plan on continuing with taxidermy and tanning you could spend a few hundred bucks on a foredom tool and the mini flesher because you are doing four or five, then when you are at 15 per year, spend several hundred bucks on a Dakota four or five, then when you are at twenty or more, spend one to two thousand bucks on great machine, OR, buy a great machine and be done.
    By the time you got to the great machine you will have paid for it twice. Now if you don't think you'll ever do many deer heads or tanning, You'd be better off just using your knives.

Why struggle up to easy when you can start out at easy. I was doing around 3 to 5 a year when I bought mine. I went from several hours to thin a hide to twenty minutes to thin a hide a lot thinner and more even.

11. austin_0_4

austin_0_4 New Member

Call me crazy but I bought a wheel before I even put a deer back together. I spent a ton of time learning all the cape work and prep. I had always heard "ya gotta get that skin thin" before mounting so I tried thinning by hand, hated it. Bought a mini flesher, it worked but again I did not like using the tool. So I broke down and spent the money on a Dakota V. Best thing I have done in my taxi experience so far. It does come with a bit of a learning curve but in the end it's been worth every penny. Once you're doing customer mounts it will pay for itself relatively quickly.

So in short, the thinning of a skin by hand made me wonder if I really wanted to do taxidermy work, buying a wheel has eliminated those thoughts and makes the work much easier.

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I hated tanning for taxidermy. I was sending them out, but wanted more control over turn around time. After buying the Dakota Pro, I really enjoyed it.

13. Thanks for all of your comments and help. After a lot of thought, even know I am just getting started I think I am going to save up and get a table machine. I was thinking about the mini Flesher , but like a lot of you have said I would rather get what I want to begin with rather than spending more money in the long run.