1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Moose Shoulder Mount Hanger

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by MichaudTaxidermy, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Hey Guys,
    I just finished my first moose shoulder mount (60" bull) and it is quite heavier than deer gameheads. What do you guys use to hang them? It will be going into a classroom full of students, so it needs to be 100% secure, for obvious liability reasons.

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Hanger is only as strong as the screwes used to attach it to the plywood. I would buy the biggest strongest hanger mckenzie sells and atach it with a deck screw or pan head screw made for framing construction.. length won't matter as long as it's hot threads withing at least 1/2" or closer to the head..
    Also the anchor in the wall is most likely the part that will fail if anything... cinderblock wall?

3. Thanks. I doubt that the wall is cinder block, I've yet to see the underneath, but the exterior is covered with ship lap, so I'm assuming there will be studs.

4. jk

jk Active Member

McKenzie, level rite with five 1 1/4" sheet rock screws. Make sure they hit a stud with the wall screw. Keep in mind most of the weight is back against the wall. Can also use two hangers 16" apart so they both hit studs. This will hold about anything. Just make sure when they hang it, it the screws are in the hanger not catching on the hide wrapped around the form. I have had a couple of WT come off the wall from this, broken tine and busted nose. The noose hanger is also a good one that helps eliminate this.

J

5. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

I as use "Peace of Mind" hangers from McKenzie. They aren't cheap, but are heavy gauge steel that also have a nice tapered alignment slot that helps guide onto lag bolt in wall.

http://www.mckenziesp.com/Peace-of-Mind-Safety-Hanger-W208C3548.aspx

Attached Files: