1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rebuilding wolf nose

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by krusty12, Feb 15, 2016.

1. I'm rebuilding a damaged wolf nose with apoxie sculpt. Any advise on what I can use to re-texture the nose pad with.

2. bowelk

bowelk Member

I had a reference nose I was going to put on once, because the nose pad was so damaged. Found an old Craftsman ratchet handle that had the a knurled pattern exactly as the actual nose texture. Looked fantastic when done. Take a look around the house.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I used course grit sand paper on a bear nose.

4. That's what I call out of the box ingenuity
    Thanks

5. Jackson1814

Jackson1814 Active Member

I've taken a white cotton tube sock, turned it inside out and used the inside portion of the sock and dabbed at the area that was rebuilt. The end result is a texture that looks almost identical to the nose of a canine. Try it on a test piece and see what you think. Hope this helps.

6. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

For a texture mold, use a silicone putty like Smooth-On Poyo putty and make a quick, simple flat texture mold of the top of the nose pad (using another, undamaged animal nose, or a portion of an artificial nose). Now you can press this texture mold into the epoxy sculpt and get a true, positive impression. Also works great for blending the transition between skin and artificial noses.

7. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

What i have used in the past, is that foam insulation that goes around pipes. Use the end of the insulation. Comes out very good when pressed into apoxy sculp.

8. Thanks everyone for the great ideas