1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Ladies Learn Mammal Carving from Ken Walker!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by allis, Feb 15, 2016.

1. allis

allis Member

It's cold up here for us California ladies! But, we hardly notice because we're too busy learning some advanced taxidermy techniques from World Champion Ken Walker. The ladies of Prey Taxidermy, along with Shasta Wymer of Silent Grove Taxidermy (Northern Virginia), are here in Alberta, Canada working on some mammals under one of the greats. We'll be posting the finished products shortly, but here's the happs so far:

We're off! (Allis Markham, Jenn Hall & Madison Rubin of Prey Taxidermy leave Los Angeles)
    [​IMG]

Jenn falls asleep. We cover her in trash. That's the deal.
    [​IMG]

Look at the snow! Nature!
    [​IMG]

Here's Shasta cuddling up with a Lynx
    [​IMG]

Here's the Prey ladies' project: Mounting Lynx by hand-carving forms using skinned carcasses as reference, casting the heads and creating custom casted open mouths.
    [​IMG]
    Makala, Ken's apprentice, working on skins and me skinning a Lynx
    [​IMG]

Shasta is working on a Cross Fox using the same process.
    [​IMG]

Ken shows us how he traces carcasses in order to make foam parts for carving
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Positioning my carcass in a cat-stretch pose I saw in some reference. I'm thinking closed-eyed yawn.
    [​IMG]

Ken & Jen working away
    [​IMG]

The Walker Studio in full gear.
    [​IMG]

Carved individual bits and began chopping them up for posing.
    [​IMG]

Jen gives Madison her 2-cents on positioning hers. We're each doing very different poses/behaviors. You can see Ken's reference sculpture in the middle of the photo.
    [​IMG]

Head cast in clay using a burlap and plaster jacket
    [​IMG]

My carved form. My reference carcass was very slumped by this point, and I changed some things later on. Per my photo reference, I have my feet more upright and the legs more extended.
    [​IMG]

Here is Shasta's carved fox form with a reference sculpture Ken created
    [​IMG]

We're having a wonderful and educational time up here. Stay tuned for final photos in the next few days. FYI, i'm trying to figure out the VISA situation so that Ken can come do this as a week-long workshop at Prey Taxidermy in Los Angeles. I'll be sure to post on here once the dates and info are set.

-allis

2. It looks like you ALL had a ball thanks for posting.

3. Go team!

4. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Good stuff, thanks for posting the pictures!

5. RTF

RTF Active Member

Cant wait to see the end product

6. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

great stuff, keep the photo's coming

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

These Gals are a trip!

8. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

It's been the best trip thus far...learning so much and having lots of fun down time too.

9. Skywalker

The ladies showed up here on one of the very rare occasions that there are male exotic dancers in Alberta Beach! So I am driving 5 of them down to Jungles Bar to enjoy the libations, minus Shasta who's staying behind. I'll pick them up when they've had their fill. Should be an interesting drive home!

10. AliciaG

AliciaG Museum taxidermist and exhibit preparator

Go ladies! What an awesome opportunity. I can't wait to see the finished product, thanks for sharing!

11. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

You didn't stay with them to watch the show Ken? Lol

12. Look like fun times doing neat stuff!

13. Looks like you don't need a freezer to pose the carcasses

14. Skywalker

Actually the weather has been so warm that our carcass won't freeze.

15. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Okay, so what you have are "ladies" attending a male exotic dance festival. I would assume ladies would be having tea and crumpets in the drawing room dressed in their finery.

The on-line free dictionary has a definition of ladies as "women of high social standing or refinement, especially when viewed as dignified or well-mannered."

There is no doubt that Allis, Jen, Shasta and the others all have high social standing, and they are surely making their mount refined, but to view them as dignified and well mannered? I've not met them, but a male exotic dance festival???? Maybe Shasta, having stayed back is the most lady-like..

Seriously though, you "guys" seem to be having a great time...can't wait to see the finished mounts.

16. Skywalker

Pictures coming soon! My daughter went with them so they would behave. Didn't work! lol These Gals are quite independent and are soaking up the northern experience. They are already planning a return trip and Of course I will be back to Hollywood as well.

17. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Looks like a dangerous crew.. Hi Shasta!

Cool pics, Looking forward to seeing the mounts.

18. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Learning and fun mixed together....... awesome!!

19. Skywalker

Mounts are done and the travelers have returned home. The ladies took over my castle and for the 1st time in months this place was a busy place. I miss them already. Shasta hung out for a few extra days and also knocked out a very pretty Wolf. Here she is learning my bondo ear method for the second time. And one of the ladies taking over my kitchen. The ladies will be adding a bunch more photos to this thread soon. 8)

Attached Files:

20. Love Allis' skinning hat LOL Looks like a great time! Cant wait to see the coming pics!