1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Discoloration on deer hair...photos added.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Fogelberg Fan, Feb 16, 2016.

1. I was recently mounting a buck and while grooming it I noticed a patch of the hair on the neck, just left of the throat patch was sort of a yellow hue. It is about the size of a softball and it won't come off. I've tried Dawn, lacquer thinner and mineral spirits. I didn't notice it when I was fleshing it. It was caped at a processor. I have no idea if it was on there when I got it but I have never seen anything like it before and I tan my own with a pressure tanner and crystals and haven't had any discoloration of any kind in the past. Any ideas what it might be or how to get rid of it? Thanks...

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Re: Discoloration on deer hair...

Could it be just the color of the hair, maybe it was a damaged area that lost hair in that spot and is playing catch up growing back. Otherwise without a picture could be anything.

3. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

I would try whines rust remover it works great bird feathers to remove mineral stains and discoloration

4. Dannynewman

That was whinks rust remover, damn auto correct

5. Re: Discoloration on deer hair...

Thanks Paul and Danny. I'll try and get a picture when I get home tonight. Is that Whinks stuff a common item that I can find anywhere? I've never heard of it before. The color reminds me of the color of intestinal bile. Would that cause a discoloration if it somehow made it on to the hair? It's some pretty pesky stuff whatever it is. Anywho, thanks for your time.

6. Dannynewman

Your welcome, you can get the whinks from just about anywhere, Walmart or any other grocery or hardware store.)

7. Here are a couple of pictures of the deer in question.

Attached Files:

8. nokes

nokes New Member

Looks just like the color to me. Could be wrong. Might want to ask the customer for a picture of when it was killed