1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting skin that has acid rot?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Lone Wolf AK, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

I have a tanned wolverine that a client/friend had for a long time that has acid rot. He wants it mounted, but I was afraid it would be very fragile after rehydration, and warned him about that possibility. Well, it indeed is tearing easily, and has virtually no stretch. He still wants me to attempt the mount, as the alternative is tossing it out (not something you want to do with a wolverine). Bottom line is that I'm going to proceed slowly and carefully.

However, I'm looking for ideas on how to reinforce and/or repair the tears as I proceed. Stitching isn't a real option, as they will just tear through. I was thinking that using scrap pieces of tanned fox leather super glued on the inside as a patch to hold the weak spots together as I go. Obviously that would not be flexible, but it may hold things together enough that the tears won't spread before the hide paste adheres everything to the form.

Any other suggestions on reinforcing/patching tears? Different adhesive and or patch material?

2. bowelk

bowelk Member

Latex glove comes to mind. They are tan in color, so they should blend a little better than a blue nitrile glove. Use it as you would dryer sheet repair. Should allow a little "give" or "stretch" during drying period. Good luck!

3. Liquid latex and cotton gauze. glue the skin together before you hydrate it. One thing you will have to do is maybe piece it together on the form..

4. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

Thanks for the ideas. I managed to get it mounted, but all the tears and crumbling areas were very frustrating. There will be a lot of "sculpting" to be done around the face when I get to the detailing.