1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shoulder mount seams

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Genie, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Genie

Genie Member

What can I do to mark the two halves of the cape to line them up again at the seam?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

A Sharpie?

3. austin_0_4

austin_0_4 New Member

Indeed! Thats what I did! I set the skin out and line everything up starting at the head and around the antler base then worked my way toward the back of the deer. Every few inches I marked a line with a sharpie to line up as I sewed it back up. Worked just fine. The first time I did a long cut cape I actually did the same thing but rather than marking with a sharpie I put a single stitch and tied it off about every 4 inches, then did my sewing.

4. bowelk

bowelk Member

To make it even easier, alternate 2 colors. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get off track when sewing. Marking lifesize capes, IMHO, is even more important - all those tabs and G-strings gotto go somewhere. Marking it prior to sewing makes it a lot easier to bring it all together correctly.

5. jorgy

jorgy Member

I use several colors on seams. Just fold it with the skin side out and put marks every few inches across from each other.

6. Genie

Genie Member

Good ol' sharpie. Gotta love those things. I thought about sharpies but didn't know if the marks would take and hold on the damp hide. And different colors - good idea. I've been using a red sharpie to restore color around pheasant eyes.