1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Impossible tannin stains?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Sweetnov, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Sweetnov

Sweetnov New Member

Have a very special buck I'm working on that was found dead and I macerated to take off the little bit of meat that was left. I then degreased for a couple weeks. This skull was found in oak country and on half the skull and part of rack what I believe are tannin stains are being impossible it seems. I soaked over night in BO, let dry, and the orange/rust color was still horrible... I thought possibly iron out would move the stains but after 40 minutes not any difference at all... I just put back in BO for another night but I'm afraid its not going to do much... Any other suggestions? Have some of you pros ever had a skull that just would not whiten?

2. akvz

akvz New Member

I haven't had much issue with oak staining-- and I am in an area known for oaks! BO usually does the trick. Are you sure it's fully degreased?

If you can't get the colour out I would try and pick up some catappa leaves or something to even out the tannin staining... put the leaves in water, let them soak and get the water nice and brown, and then try soaking the skull in it. I suppose oak leaves or acorns are worth a shot for the same use as well.

3. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,169079.0.html

4. Sweetnov

Sweetnov New Member

Thanks akvc, I'm pretty certain it is not grease as the staining is only on the one side of skull and antler the head was laying on ground... And cyclone, don't know if you had seen in my post but I did the iron out trick for 40 minutes with absolutely no change? I will try to post some pics... Any other thoughts guys?

5. cyclone

Pics please, because if Iron Out didn't work then you have neither rust stains nor tannin.

...and exactly what product did you use? Pic or link please.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

How strong was the solution of Iron Out? How does yours compare the the pictures in the link Cyclone posted?

7. I'm trying to finish up a pot belly that was also in dirt. I'm thinking mineral staining. Top side doesnt look too bad but bottom of jaw where it was in the dirt wont lose the brown color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Sweetnov

Sweetnov New Member

Used regular iron out for 40 minutes, 1/2 cup to 4-5 gallons of water. Here's pic of skull before starting anything-
    [​IMG][/URL]][/img]

9. cyclone

Please post a pic of the Iron Out container or a link to the exact product. There are several different Iron Out products and only 1 specific formulation will work.

10. Sweetnov

Sweetnov New Member

Here is after BO and iron out. Decent side is first pic and second is the stained side. Cyclone, ill get pic of iron out asap
    [​IMG][/URL]][/img]
    [​IMG][/URL]][/img]

11. Sweetnov

Sweetnov New Member

Here's the iron out I tried-
    [​IMG]

12. cyclone

What company makes that? the Iron out needed is SUPER IRON OUT. Summit brands. That label looks different although it might be an offshoot of the summit brand or a copycat with a different formulation. I can't find a dang thing out from that bottle. Every search comes up with the Super iron out..

Does it smell when mixed in solution? Describe.

13. Sweetnov

Sweetnov New Member

Yes it is summit brand. I got it at menards. Both menards and Walmart advertise it as "super iron out" online and I found same packaging as bottle I have on both websites. It has a pleasant smell.

14. Sea Wolf

Are you using the BO straight? The coloring doesn't look too bad in the picture and rather uniform. Wondering if it is actually stubborn grease. Have you tried a soak for a couple of weeks in straight ammonia? Degreased in water heated to 120 degrees?

15. cyclone

Super Iron Out has a couple of sulfide compounds in that are in no way pleasant to smell. The powder has a rotten egg smell to it and when put into solution you don not want to breathe the fumes. They will burn your sinuses, lungs and eyes.

Is yours powdered form? Super iron out is a powder. (I've contacted the company to see if there is indeed a difference. Will pass on what I learn.)

[​IMG]

16. Sweetnov

Sweetnov New Member

Seawolf, degreased at 120 for a couple weeks... I actually have been thinking maybe it is grease but only on one side?? Could grease settle on one side of skull that's facing the ground? Yes, straight BO but it is about a year old although I'm very careful to keep it covered out of the light... cyclone, the iron out definitely is not a bad odor. It is powder form. Maybe I will try to find the "super" iron out and give it another whirl. In the mean time I put it back in degreaser. Thanks so much guys/gals, looking forward to hearing if the iron out is different. Ill keep yas posted...

17. Sweetnov

Sweetnov New Member

Hope this isn't a double post but I'm not seeing it up. Anyhow, Seawolf, I did degrease for two weeks at 120. Could grease settle to side of skull that's laying on ground cause its only on that side? I did use straight BO for two nights... only thing I'm thinking "possibly" is BO is about a year old now but I've always kept it covered and out of light. Cyclone, the iron out definitely is not a bad smell. It's actually quite pleasant. Also it is powder form... Maybe it is different formulation than "super iron out"?

18. cyclone

Something was/is wrong with the Taxinet boards. I saw you last posted, by the time posted to the right of the discussion topic, on: February 20, 2016, 07:24:26 PM, but the discussion only showed 14 posts. Now showing 15 and I still cannot see the replies unless I go to your posts under your username and click on it there.

I'm highly suspect of the iron out you have if it doesn't smell of rotten egg. Can you post the ingredients listed on the side?

19. cyclone

Another important note:

Sea Wolf we have forgotten an important step in what happened with your potbellied skull. If you remember we had a " water to wine" effect going on. The active ingredient in Super Iron Out is a reducing agent, it simply changes the valency state of the iron in rust to make it colorless. The same goes for tannins. Your pig skull went back to being stained when you peroxided it, through the oxidation with peroxide..

So we learned that the steps should be: De-greasing, whitening with peroxide and then the Super Iron Out to render the tannin colorless.

20. Sea Wolf

True .. and the pictures showed that. And yes, something is messed up with the boards.