1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What size form to order?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jmoffitt23, Feb 20, 2016.

1. When I started my measurements were 7 1/4 x 17 x 19. Now I am done with the flleshing and tanning. Now I laid the cape out on the table and I measured 9 inches across which means I would need an 18 inch form. Correct? I noticed it shrank and just want to make sure its normal. Wanted to order the right size form.!Just looking for help. Thanks

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Tanning shrinks a cape. It will be your job to stretch it out to it's original size.

3. So I should order the original size it measures? And what is the best way to stretch out the Cape to get back to the original size?

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Do you have Rick Carter's whitetail A to Z DVD from McKenzie? I suspect you have not since it answers all the questions you have asked so far and will ask in the future. If you do not have the DVD, put your cape in the freezer until you get the DVD.

5. Ok. Thanks, sorry for askin stupid questions!

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I'm not saying your being a pest or that I don't want to help you out, it is just that the DVD will help you out immensely.

7. I do have the McKenzie caping and tanning video and the whitetail mounting basics. I watch them and do know pretty much what to do but it doesn't say anything at all about shrinking or stuff like that. I just found it easier to ask the question on here that I need to know. Thanks for your help

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Your questions aren't stupid. They are question all beginners have. That's why I get a DVD or two or three when I start a project I have never done before. If that DVD has only one or two things that I didn't know in it, then it is worth it. Get the DVD and don't be afraid to ask questions.

To answer your questions, pull on the cape width wise and just stretch it out with your arms and hands. I order a form slightly smaller than the cape measurement after it has been stretched out. Usually about a 1/2 inch or even an inch smaller.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Also, the archives have good information on how to get the most stretch out of your cape.

10. I am just starting and got a couple DVDs and watch them and thought it wouldn't be that hard. But now that I got into it there's a lot of little details and things I wasn't sure about so I am thankful for this website because it does help me a lot. Taxidermy is something that I've always really wanted to do. Now I'm finally doing it. The fleshing and tanning part was a lot harder than I thought.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I recently started learning birds. After a couple of years of study and occasional practice when I get lucky a kill some birds, I still feel a little over whelmed by it all and now I'm thinking fish. Don't get discouraged and I feel that the better the tools the more enjoyable the job.

12. birddogguy

birddogguy Member

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask for fear of being ridiculed.

13. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Was your cape shaved? Just fleshing is not the whole process, the thicker the skin the more it will shrink. Shaving a pickled skin down to the blue tint, your cape will be as when it was alive if not slightly larger.

14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Good point, Paul B.

15. Thanks for advice. Shaved best I could . Think I'm gonna buy Dakota V

16. Deerhide123

Deerhide123 New Member

Yes I agree. I just watched Rick carters DVD and holy crap that's a lot of fleshing and scraping i thought. I have a lot more questions than I thought

17. My guess would be the neck should probably be shaved down more. If you don't have an actual fleshing machine you could try letting the cape dry slightly so you can't squeeze water out on the leather side and try thinning it with a dremel and a sanding bit. Takes time but I'v done it before I got my machine. Just done stay in one spot to long.

18. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Shave thin and always take your measurements from the tanned hide for shoulder mounts