1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ears, I'm I doing something wrong!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by nokes, Feb 20, 2016.

1. nokes

nokes New Member

Per the recent discussion, I use plastic liners. Shorten the bases slightly, round the base edges and mount. Once everything is set and tucked I go to the ears and put clay on the inside to build the bases up and position the ears the way I like. I find that I have much more flexibility on positioning the ears doing it after the cape is on not before. What do you think? Anyone else do it this way?

2. I do a couple things the saem way, a couple different. I do usually cut about 1/4 off the but end of the liner, that a way I deffinetly wont have to long looking of an ear at the end.I also get a small drill bit and punch about 15 small holes in the earliner and since doing so, have not had one issue of an ear drumming no matter what glue ive used. I build my clay earbuts on the the liners and get the shape I want for the most part before I put the earliner in the ear. After doing that ill apply glue and insert into the ear. Then may have to add a little hear or there while mounting but for the most part my ear butss are build prior to the cape going onto the mount! Works great for me but to each his own. You may try it.i bet you ll like it

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Why not just dig out a pocket in the form for the liner ear canal, makes it easy to set liner in place and build butt even on both sides. The way you clay the butts after its mounted is fine. Many ways to skin a cat, end result is all that matters.

4. jason.fairbanks

jason.fairbanks Member

I have always struggled to get a good fit with ear liners....particularly mule deer. I get good results on whitetails with commercially available plastic ear liners but I rarely even consider ear liners for other species. Like you I clay and position once everything is tucked. I prefer the flexibility the technique offers.