1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1st Duck

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Dylan730, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Dylan730

Dylan730 New Member

Critique please

Attached Files:

2. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

To a beginner I would suggest you look at photos of the bird in similar pose, and learn to critic your own work, just as you learn the techniques of the work. (I am not trying to discourage you from asking others, particularly asking how to correct what you see is not quite right and or what you had difficulty with - just trying to help you sharpen your eyes about the work.)

I would be interested in hearing What you see that could be improved?

Hope this helps, as it is intended to.

Attached Files:

3. I'm pretty sure the bottom foot that's showing is upside down/backwards

4. For a first bird, bravo. You made a decent duck mount for a first, and I think you'll be better on your next. You did a few things that almost everyone did on their first bird, and they can be fixed very easy. There is an "S" shape on a duck that gives it its full looking neck, and does shorten the appearance a bit. It looks like you likely put in the correct length of neck, but it lacks that curve needed. The wings are a bit far from the bird, meaning your scapulars will fall outside the body away from the shoulders a bit. It can be fixed by either cutting a groove where the knuckle of the humerus fits, or you can cut them a bit shorter. The sharp flight web is achieved by pinning the web toward the breast more, and also making the connection between the radius and ulna a the humerus at the elbow come to a downward point toward the side of the bird a bit. This gives the bird a nice sharp leading edge, and gives the bird some motion in the wings in flight. Notice where the alula feather is at the wrist or near the primaries are? The wing normally will have some transition in at this point. Perhaps the alula feather is sitting atop the wing more? Perhaps there's a more distinct bend here> Your bird's wing is rounded here, and looks slightly off. The body looks a bit long, and therefore the tail looks like it could be brought forward some. There are some real important things to consider when measuring the bird's carcass to mimic in the manikin and wiring. The length of the bird's body is real important. The measurement to the hip, and wiring using a hip attachment (giving your bird's legs a greater range of motion). Where the anus lines up.. Where the tail sits in a slot. The length of neck including the "S" shape. The measurement across the back where the wing bones sit, and where femur of the hip sits, will really help with anatomy. Also, having the correct body girth to go with the length. A bird in flight is a flatter shaped bird. A standing bird is more rounded. If you pull your carcass, and sketch it both side and top view, and alter your manikin to mimic the carcass, you'll really see vast improvements. Now that's a lot to take in for a beginner, but it looks like you are on the fast track, and perhaps used a Savides video (looking at your wing wiring), so read it, and try to hit a couple of those marks on your next...and the next....

I really think you did real good for a first bird, and hopes this helps as it is intended to. Critiques are the tough love needed to help people get further ahead, and they can be given without being hurtful. I hope my response is relayed that way? If you can honestly take the critiques without getting butt hurt, you'll really learn that much faster, because you'll have an open mind without ego getting in the way of your growth. Again, great first bird in my opinion.

5. Dylan730

Dylan730 New Member

Thanks for the feed back, hopefully each one will get better. I asked for a critique hoping to get feedback that would help me get better, so I can take the bad with the good and not get all upset like some do.

6. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Listen to the helpful tips Pete gave you... Using regerence should be plain common sense