1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Raccoon slipped ear - anyway to fix?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by EvalynBlack, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Well i just finished my first sizeable animal tan on a Raccoon (i've done some small things). after i tanned it i noticed that one of the ears slipped, it a pretty good amount of slip, half the inside and back of one ear which goes down onto the head a bit in front of that ear and on the inside.

my guess is that this is where my fingers were when i turned the ear.

I have some questions so i can learn from my mistake and hopefully not have this happen again.

1. i turned the ear while i was fleshing, before i salted. i turned all the way to the edges at this point, is there a better way? or a better time to do this (the other ear has no slip at all)

2. the raccoon is case skinned, when i'm pickling, tanning etc... do i want the ear inside or right side out, how about the front arms, and the whole body? i had everything with the flesh side out.

3. how can i repair it, i'm up for the challenge (i think), i have the slipped hair. or do i not bother to mount it and try again on a new raccoon.

thank you in advance for any help

2. birddogguy

birddogguy Member

Re: Raccoon slipped ear noticed after tan

If I think a hide is going to be susceptible to slip I spray it with a good bactericide. Wear gloves.

3. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

Use stop rot next time

4. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Stop screwing around with slippage. Use Krowtann and it all ends.

5. bowelk

bowelk Member

got to agree with RC - whatever's in Krotann works like a charm.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Ear slip is because you man handled the ear when trying to turn it, and pinched or pushed the hair right off the ear.

7. i know i said its probably from my fingers in the original post. however, i'm looking for help/suggestions/solutions.
    i may have found a replacement ear.

8. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

With head inverted, I use a rounded off paint brush handle or anything similar to fit in small area as a Raccoon ear, and from the hair side push ear with brush end and cut flesh side with scalpel where use see the skin/cartilage separation point. Pull down on skin to add pressure to ear, I use paper towel around skin to help hold with the grease and keep hands off skin, continue opening to edges, takes a minute or two. I do this the same way for all small game, fox, coyote and even bear ears.

9. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Find another coon and remount the part of the ear that slipped.