1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreasing raccoons

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jimbo72, Feb 24, 2016.

1. I have a raccoon that I want to use the face of it looking out of a knot hole. I am looking for some information on the proper way to degrease it. Going to use krowtann to tan it. Would I shave the face down real thin and wash it several times in dawn dish soap, or shave it and soak it in denatured alcohol. Any information on degreasing (coon or beaver)would greatly be appreciated.
    Howie

2. birddogguy

birddogguy Member

The former rather than the later

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

All of the taxidermy supply companies sell degreasers made for raw skins. Dawn will work but will give you a high ph and if you have an iffy skin it can make things worse. Safety solvent, Kemel 4, tannery degreaser are a few that work well. Never used krowtan so can't tell you when or how . Forget the alcohol.

4. blklab

blklab Member

I have used a Clarifying Shampoo for years to wash and degrease all my skins. I use it on Pheasants , Ducks , Coons and Deer capes and it works very well and leaves the skin with a pleasant smell.

The Clarifying Shampoo is available at www.Vellus.Com . It is manufactured for Show dogs , but it works really well for Taxidermy as well, better that Dawn and it is much easier to rinse....Give it a try...

www.vellus.com

5. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Most degreasing steps are done during and after a hide or cape is pickled. Raw skins can be a problem especially on iffy hides. Directions with the product (Krowtan) should tell you what to use and when.

6. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Pressure washer

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Might work down in Georgia Rick, but up here, not. Hoses are stored away and hose bibs are shut off from inside. Its winter time, LOL.

8. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Paul, it holds me up for just a few weeks a year. I keep the pressure washer and hoses indoors. The outside spigots only freeze a few times. There aren't many weeks that the temp stays below 32 for the entire week. Back to Dawn and Krowtann.

9. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Almost Spring here!

Attached Files: