1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Buzzard

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Muncher, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Muncher

Muncher Member

It's been a while since I've done anything, but here's a common buzzard that I just finished.

I found him in the middle of the road towards the end of last summer, and when I spotted him I had to wait for three cars to drive over the top of him before I could make a grab. Fortunately they went over the top, and didn't squash him.

After macerating, I found that he was badly smashed up - must have been hit really hard. The skull was in four major pieces, a number of ribs and several vertebrae broken, and the sternum and pelvis split in a several places. I thought it was such a rare find that it was worth trying to rescue it. The skull was the most difficult part, as the pieces had not held their shape and distorted during maceration. I had to dream up ways of clamping, stretching and bending the broken pieces whilst gluing.

I think it was all worthwhile, as I'm happy with the end result, and it will make a great addition to my cabinet.

It's the largest bird I've done, and it actually taught me a lot, as I could see much better how some of the bones fit together than I could on the smaller specimens I've done.

Attached Files:

2. Muncher

Muncher Member

Not great photos I'm afraid - I need a bit of daylight for some better ones

Attached Files:

3. btr

btr Member

;D

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

For it being as badly busted up as you say, you have done a really nice save with that. Did you save any of the feathers too?

5. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

Great save

6. Guus

Guus Member

Really nice articulation! I like the pose, it looks ready for take off. Impressive job with all the broken bones, I think I would have taken another one! :D

7. Muncher

Muncher Member

I can't really take credit for the pose. I copied it straight from the excellent 3D animation on Wouter's site. I'm not much good at working out a positioning for a skeleton, so I find a picture that I think looks really good, and work from that. Not very original, but to my mind a decent pose is far more important than a few broken bones.

I did keep a large handful of feathers, Seawolf. I've no idea what I'll do with them, but I couldn't bring myself to put them all in the bin.

8. jfake

jfake Member

That looks great. Good job

9. Very nice mount ! And also nice save, I totally understand that you wanted to save it. I found few specimens by myself too so even if the one I get has some damages I try to do what I can to get it as good as possible.

10. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas
    Very nice articulation! I haven't tried avian skeleton yet, but your buzzard makes me want to. I think a larger skeleton would be my preference too. Maybe a buzzard like yours or perhaps a wild turkey. The feet and claws are impressive. I also find the last tail section interesting, I didn't realize it was such a large segment on birds. Thanks for sharing! :)

11. TheSeaWench

TheSeaWench Member

CR
    Sweet grab! What a great bird to articulate. I feel like its almost a symbol for bone collectors ;) Its definitely been a natural beacon for me since I've found most of my bones following wherever the vultures are circling.