1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Caulking Bird Wing pockets

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by JerseyJays, Feb 27, 2016.

1. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Here's something I've been doing to direct the caulk where I need it...
    I buy my neck wire in the form of 10 GA copper wire. I go to home depot and buy it and cut to size. I buy the 3 wire, so I get 4 strands per length once I remove the insulation off the red white and black wires.

This helps alot when you do what I just did, and sewed the bird up forgetting to caulk the wing pockets prior lol..

Take the casing of the wire and slip it over the caulk tube and electrical tape it on good. Cut a slot and direct the tube where needed. Works like a charm. I use this all the time to get in where I need with caulk.
    [​IMG]

2. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Thanks! Great Tip

3. BCastle

BCastle New Member

You can also use clear drain hose in 3/8 and1/2" dia! It comes in bulk spools from plumbing and heating supply stores! I use pieces cut to whatever length wanted and it stretches over the tip of caulking tube! While pumping the caulk through I apply pressure with my free hand so it can't slip off! very seldom will this happens but can! I'll use an 8" piece and go through 6-8 tubes of caulk. If it sits around and dries at the tip just cut a 1/2" off and your good to go again! Clear works nice too, so yu can see what going on!

4. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

And just a little better idea... thanks BCastle..

5. For my bird neck wires I use #6 copper ground wire, it has like 8 strands,, so that is 8 birds from a 1 foot piece,, also the aluminum works well too real soft easy to shape for small birds ,,it won't hold a goose head up.

6. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

For caulking I buy clear plastic air tubing for aquarium air filters. It is inexpensive and I can see the caulk flow from the syringe to the bird. I can also cut it off at any length and use a zip tie to keep it on the syringe. Works real well.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Surgical tubing works well also.

8. RTF

RTF Active Member

X2

Thats all I use and just insert a T pin all the way through the tube and caulk tube tip, to prevent it from slipping off.

9. I'd use something that has silicone in it. Just plain caulk takes too long to dry.