1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best/Safest way to thaw a completely frozen specimen?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by s.iker, Feb 28, 2016.

1. s.iker

s.iker New Member

i wanna start working on a coyote soon and i just wanna know the easiest way to thaw it out with minimal hair slipping and such. And how long would until its able to be worked on?

2. Genie

Genie Member

I always think of it like thawing a Thanksgiving turkey. They suggest thawing a turkey for a few days in the refrigerator. Of course you're not going to put an animal in your refrigerator but you're Wisconsin weather would come close right now. Keep it off the ground and propped up so that air can circulate around it. You would rather not let the digestive tract thaw completely as it will begin to spoil quickly from bacteria in the gut. Just so you can move the. Leg and body muscles enough to make your incisions. Keep an eye on it and move it to warmer or cooler places to control the thawing rate. This is all kind of iffy - it may take a day or two. Be ready to give up some time waiting for it.

3. s.iker

s.iker New Member

Good idea. I wprry about our Wisconsin wheather tho. Lol. Today was 55-60. Tomorrow it could drop to 10 degrees! Lol. Would it be okay leaving it out on top of my freezer indoors?

4. Genie

Genie Member

I know you're weather well. I'm in Wisconsin too. On top your freezer could be OK for several hours. My freezer is in my basement which is very cool. Been 52 degrees down there. It takes 24 - 36 hours to thaw a deer cape. But there is no digestive tract to deal with. My attached garage has a nice refrigerator-like temperature most of the time.

5. s.iker

s.iker New Member

Thanks for your advice!!! Didnt notice you were from wisco too! :)
    Ill see what i can do to get it done.

6. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

Refrigerator would be safest imo, then use stop rot to guarantee no hair slipping problems

7. s.iker

s.iker New Member

Yea. Can't stick a whole coyote in a fridge tho. I think my fiancé woulnt be very pleased. Lol

8. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

It will take forever to thaw a frozen whole coyote in the fridge. Head will thaw first along with the legs but the body will be frozen for days, up to and over 4 days before you can open up the legs just to skin. Hang from a back leg in room temp overnight. The body will be partially frozen but the skin will be workable after 12-16 hours of hanging. I have yet to loose a coyote thawing out this way and Fox also, as long as the specimen was fresh before frozen. Yotes have tough hides.

9. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    I always just hang them up for 2-3 days in my shop and them skin and there fine.

Sonny :)

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have done coyotes and bobcats like Paul B and it works out nicely.

11. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

What? No one uses the microwave?

HalfEmbalmed likes this.
  12. s.iker

s.iker New Member

BwhahHAHHhh. If anyone can fit a frozen coyote in a standard microwave without cutting it up. They deserve to use it. Lmao!!!!!!

Thanks guys. Ill hang it up in my basement and go from there. :)

13. I leave them on my shop floor (60 degrees) with a towel covering the whole thing. Check it in the morning and flip it over. By the end of 24 hours the legs and head are thawing good. If it's too stiff to work on then I stop rot the ears and face and flip again. The towel slows it down some what but I try to not go past 30 hours or so. Usually when I start them they are still frozen a bit in the armpits. I (knock on wood) have NOT HAD A PROBLEM since I started using stop rot.

14. s.iker

s.iker New Member

Yea. Ill invest in the stop rot. Seems very popular in the taxidermy community. :)

15. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Don't roll things up into a ball. Fold the specimen a couple of times and keep it flat. It freezes and thaws faster and you can get more in the freezer.