1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Having trouble getting short Y capes onto forms.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mod7rem, Mar 1, 2016.

1. I'm having a very hard time getting capes with a short Y incision over the head of forms. Some capes are cut all the way so I sew them up first into a short Y but getting them over the head of the form is a real struggle and I usually have to cut the seam open, making it way longer than a short Y. I've seen some of the very short incisions that pros work with on this site and I just can't figure out how. I've mostly struggled with pronghorn, sheep, and some deer forms. I've only done a couple Caribou and they worked really well with a short Y. Any tips or techniques anyone would like to share with me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Trever

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Use a cape stretcher to relax the skin before mounting.

3. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Use a smaller form or shave thinner and stretch in the throat and neck area . :)

4. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

On antelope a lot of the time the circumference from the bottom of the jaw up over the eyes is bigger then the neck circumference, you may be able to stretch some over in this scenario with a tight y, but a lot of times you have to open them up more. Or you can cut the head off, slide the cape on the form, them insert the head through the short y and re attach...id just throw a few extra stitches in there tho

5. GWebb

GWebb Active Member

3 minutes to sew up a cape...I must be really slow!! :-\

6. Sound like you need to give it a strech before trying to slip it on the form.

7. Ya the pronghorns are a tight fit. I did try cutting the heads off a couple mounts and putting them back on after, but I agree with you, I think its more hassle than the sewing:)

8. I wish I could sew that fast:)
    I like sewing as much as I can at the bench because my sewing is painfully slow and I dont get as good a seam when I sew on the form. Looks like I'll have to try a little more cape stretching and get faster at sewing. Thanks for all the tips.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Anyone sewing a Cape up in 3 minutes is probably using half inch to one inch stitches. Try that on a September whitetail and tell me how that works out.

There's no such thing as a "short" Y on antelope. Like wild sheep, the head circumference is always larger than the atlas measurement. On deer, however, if a Y, 7, or burr to burr cut doesn't work, the most common cause is improper measuring and trying to make the mount bigger than the animal really was.

10. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    How long does it take you guys so sew a cape?

Sonny ???

11. If you use a full cut you can go a little bigger on the form and have a much easier fit. Yes there is more sewing but you are able to set the antlers and do the clay work ahead of time which saves time on mounting day.

12. mimes

mimes New Member

I have used burr to burr on all my deer for 15 years now. If you are having trouble getting a cape on with a short Y simple fact is you are trying to over size your form. Drop down a 1/2 inch or shave a little swell off the back and you will be amazed how much easier it becomes. As far as 3 minutes, yep it takes me to do that on a burr to burr. 3 minutes on a long cut cape........never gonna happen.

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'll take 30 minutes or more on a short "Y". I start by cinching it multiple times around the burr and each stitch comes out at the hair line. My stitches are a quarter inch or less. I sew, cinch and groom on every one.

14. The trouble for me seems to be mostly getting the cape past the orbital bone of the form. Once past that they all seem to fit the form. It's been toughest with the upright poses, but as mentioned earlier, the pronghorn and sheep must have too big a head to use a short Y. I've had good results with semi sneak or sneak deer and caribou forms. I'm prepping a goat form now and hopefully I'll be able to sew up most of the long cut at the bench then slip it on the form.

15. 6 minute sew job, I'd like to see that seam

16. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    You can't see the seam you can do thing fast and rite I would rather do a couple heads a day than one.

Sonny

17. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I processed my capes split all the way simply because that is the way I got them in. I would stretch and then sew on the bench with the cape fur side in, with 1/8th inch to 3/16ths of an inch stitches. When I get to a short "T" ( even when they came in with a "y" cut, I would stitch up the "y" and turn it into a"T" making it burr to burr) I would slide it on the form and stitch up the "T". I am super anal about the sewing and add hide paste as I go. It takes me probably somewhere between 20 and 40 minutes for the whole job on blacktails which have relatively short necks.

18. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I won't even say, I'm so slow that you guys would laugh at me. I do 1/8" stitches, whip stitch, clean the hair out of every stitch. Any deer a long incision I sew to a short incision before mounting, much easier that way.

19. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Sewing the long seem on the bench goes quit quickly because it is easy to keep the hair out of the stitches and you don't have to add hide paste. It is when I would sew the "T" incision, I would slow way down, keeping the hair out of it and adding hide paste along the way.

20. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I would love to see a video of these speedsters in action and the final product along with the 30 minute cape, split, turn, salt and clean antler cap.