1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ripped open a Red Fox ear

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by earlytimes, Mar 1, 2016.

1. earlytimes

earlytimes New Member

I'm trying to learn how to mount a few critters and I made a boo boo on a red fox ear. I was opening the ear and my thumb tore through it and now I have a few questions.
    1, Is this fixable and also the ear isn't turned all the way.
    2. The hide has a membrane on it that from what I understand needs to stay on when I tan it. Is this right?
    3. What do I need to do with the pads?

I have not split the eyes, nose and lips yet and I sprayed it really good with stop rot.

2. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

There are many posts ont his subject in the archives my friend. Just type in ear repair, torn ears and such in the search box.

3. birddogguy

birddogguy Member

The difference between an okay job and a great job is how good the taxidermist is at fixing problems ... every mount has something that needs some TLC

4. earlytimes

earlytimes New Member

I agree, that's why I am trying to find out the proper way to do things. Its nice to be able to discuss things with others that are in the know.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

How would you repair a rip in your genes? Needle and thread maybe?

6. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

Remove membrane if you can without tearing hide

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Yes the ear is fixable, yes the membrane (fat layer)comes off, right down to the hide, turn feet right down to the toe nails and remove fat pockets under pads.