1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing year old velvet from Caribou Antlers?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by peysert, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Ok any ideas out there on how to remove velvet from Caribou Antlers? Customer brought them in after letting them set outside for a year! Was going to submerge them in water to try and soften up the velvet for removal? Some velvet is still soft and other parts are dried hard? should I put anything in the water to help speed up the process that won't hurt the antlers?? Thanks in advance for any and all ideas! Todd

2. jason.fairbanks

jason.fairbanks Member

I had two sets of caribou antlers dropped off from an August hunt. Most of the velvet was stripped except for the tip end of a half a dozen tines. I loaded them in the back of my truck and headed to the car wash. With the hand held sprayer, I was able to get the caked on blood cleaned off and soften up the velvet enough to pull everything off with ease.

3. jorgy

jorgy Member

Soak them or find someone with beetles. I have done both.

4. Thanks guys for the ideas! I never thought about using the beetles; I will look into it after I try a pressure washer if no success.