1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pigeons

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by oniros, Mar 3, 2016.

1. oniros

oniros New Member

hey there, i'm about to start working on a pigeon next week and am becoming increasingly nervous about it. i have mounted a duck and a pheasant but that was two years ago, and i'm realizing i forgot more than i knew. but also, in poring over so many threads on this insanely helpful website, i'm seeing people say that pigeons are much less forgiving and more difficult to mount.

can anyone share some insight or tips and advice? i would appreciate it so much. obviously if i was in a position to not work on these pigeons, i wouldn't but i have already signed up...

2. WTRFWLN

WTRFWLN New Member

Keep it as clean as you can? Do not wash it? That's about the only hints that I can give you?

Good luck

3. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

When I was a child growing up and practicing taxidermy back in the 60s i mounted almost every breed of pigeon there is, Jackobins, English trumps Russion trumps , magpies, Frills , Fantails, homers, owls, rollers just to name a few, as my father was a breeder of fancy pigeons. T hey are no different then any other bird, and yes I had to wash most with no problems. I would say they are just as easy to mount or work with as a ruffed grouse.

4. just take your time when skinning it omiros

5. AliciaG

AliciaG Museum taxidermist and exhibit preparator

It's true the Columbiformes (pigeons & doves) are generally a difficult group to work with. They are notoriously thin-skinned and their feathers seem to fall out if you look at them wrong, both of these characteristics are survival mechanisms that make it easier to get away if caught by a predator. However, domestic/rock pigeons are some of the toughest in their family, and actually mount up as easily as quail in my experience. The skin is a little thin around the tail & hips, but just go slowly as you skin that area and take care when fleshing, and you'll be fine. Wash and mount as you would any other bird, they come out nice and are actually pretty fun. Best of luck!