1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Smelly hide

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by nicole.bezold, Mar 8, 2016.

1. I recieved two case skinned finished coyotes. I rehydrated one and fleshed it really good. Well I put it in the pickle back and stirred it every 3 hours. Well I opened the container earlier and it smelled like rotten flesh. I pulled it out and neutralized it and washed it and it still smelled awful still so I threw it in the freezer. I don't know what else to do, is it lost? Should I throw it away? I'd rather not since its a beautiful dog.

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

If it hasn't lost any hair then you continue with the tanning process. You need to state more specifics as to your method. Pickle ingredients, pH before and after adding hides, time in pickle (days). If the hide did not stink before the pickle then I'd suspect that something is off with the pickle. Are you salting after fleshing? Many variables here along with the fact that yotes are stinky to begin with.

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Questions as Cyclone asked , also you stated finished cased coyote. That would seem to state tanned and ready. What and why did you need to hydrate to flesh and why would you neutralize after only 3 hours in pickle? Pickle will have a sort of sour smell, safety acid, McKenzie acid with a yote in it.

4. birddogguy

birddogguy Member

Wash it in Dawn with some bactericide and rinse in fabric softener, if it is already tanned. I raw and you are having problems with the tanning process send to a tannery like W. G. or Carolina Fur Dressing ... end of problem.

5. I bought them from a trapper who fleshed them and then dried them. When I recieved them I looked on the inside and realized that the hide was only roughly fleshed so I rehydrated them to flesh them better before sticking in a pickle. I typically use 1 pound of salt to every gallon of water. I stuck the hide in the solution Sunday night and would stir it ever few hours. The hide started turning white like normal. I went to check it Monday night and pulled the lid of the bucket and it had the smell of rotting flesh. Which at that point I was worried about slippage so I took it out. I washed it with baking soda and shampoo to try to get the rotting flesh smell out but it still smelled like rotting flesh, I tugged multiple places in the hair and it was not slipping. I stuck it in a bag and stuck it in the freezer until I could figure out how to save it.

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

What you have described is only a re-hydration process. There is no pickle process listed in your method. All you have is a salted/fleshed/frozen hide that is sitting at a high pH value right now. You need to get it into a proper pickle.

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

A pickle consists of 2 pounds of salt to achieve a 40% salt solution and 1/2 oz. of acid for a ph of 1, per gallon of water. You now have a hide sitting in a ph state of around 10, that is not good. If your saying the smell was from the hydration bath to soften a the air dry hide in your salt solution, then yes it will smell.

8. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

I use Stop Rot on hides that I don't catch myself because im not sure of there history, if they smell or not.

I think it works like it says, I sure would like to hear what everyone else has to say abought Stop Rot, works don't work?

9. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I bought one bottle some years ago, used it on whatever I had until it was gone. Didn't have a slip problem before, during or after using it so really couldn't tell if it did anything. Lost 1 ground hog and 1 deer cape from slip, that's it, customers fault.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I use stop rot on suspect iffy skins, fresh of the warm body and split and salted doesn't need the stop rot IMO. I have a deer cape right now that I used stop rot on after fleshing, salted and pickled right away, and there is hair floating all over in the pickle. The cape was from a euro donation, so I have no idea the use by date is on this one, so the stop rot may have been to late to use.