1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How big of a whitetail cape should I look for?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by boone90, Mar 8, 2016.

1. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

My wife's grandpa took a nice whitetail in central Alberta few years ago but the guys he was with managed to pull out a bunch of hair while heaving it into the truck and wrecked the cape. He just kept the antlers, and seeing as he already has a very well stocked trophy room, he is allowing me to mount it for him for practice. I need to know how big of a cape to look for; the buck is mature, 20 inch outside spread, 11 inch g2's with good mass throughout, and was shot in early November. If someone could give me approximate measurements so I can post in the wanted section that would be awesome. I would also appreciate any recommendations on a line of forms that would be easiest to learn on, ie not too intricate as far as musculature and detail is concerned. Thanks guys!

2. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

Canadian deer usually huge bodies, especially for the rack size it sounds like a mature deer, your gonna need 24+ inch deer cape, probably 26 or 27 inch is what I would look for

3. buckman170

buckman170 Member

Totally agree, for a mature Canadian buck, I'd look for a 24 inch plus cape measuring over the atlas.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Going to cost you some Benjamin's. Not one you want to practice on. 2-3 hundred for a nice Canadian cape but if Grandpa is paying...Forms are just a base for your work, all the same, sneak is the easiest to get cape on but after that, no difference. Need cape first, then order form. Get a few whitetail DVD's and watch them over and over, then start to practice.