1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Big old Russian bear

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Sea Wolf, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

This is a skull from an old collection that I bought at an auction. Was really greasy and nasty to handle. Appears to have been boiled and never degreased. Has been sitting in straight ammonia now for 8 months. The ammonia in the bucket was nasty slime and discolored when I pulled the skull finally. Several rinses and soaks in hot water to where it is now. Still grease to be seen but it is already 100% better. Going to let it dry some and see. Might be going into an acetone bath after this. This is a Russian brown bear from Okhotsk, Russia.

After a looooong soak in straight ammonia.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before when it first came home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a reference, the odd skull next to it is a capybara. Biggest one I have ever seen at a smidge under 12 inches long. The other is a huge reticulated python.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  2. Three under

Three under New Member

Very cool!!! What a difference!

3. AH7

AH7 New Member

That's a beast!

Love it.

4. Guus

Guus Member

Nice! Mine came from Kamchatka, both of them extremely dirty and greasy after being boiled years ago. The oil was running out of the skulls, cleaning them took months.

[​IMG]

5. Sea Wolf

EEEWWWWWW! Another good save Guus. I can't get most of the teeth out of this skull. I'd like to whiten it but I lose that wonderful honey color of the teeth. I'll probably leave this one as is.

6. Sea Wolf

Fixed pictures