1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rehydrate saqlted skins?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by hearn2424, Mar 10, 2016.

1. hearn2424

hearn2424 Member

I had a customer send me some birds from a hunt down south about 5 years ago with papers. Well he never sent me any money and they worked there way to the bottom of the freezer. Well I was just doing a freezer inventory and came across them. Called him and he said I can have them. How would I go about rehydrate them to mount? Any help would be appreciated.

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I just did a salted two year old bird using warm water and Dawn. Took just a few minutes.

3. hearn2424

hearn2424 Member

Sweet that was my plan, but thought I ask first. Thanks

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

COLD water though.... dont take a chance

5. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

I did it a hundret times in hand-warm water with dawn, it works great, especially, when they are wet salted and not dried.
    If they have been salted and dried, I do it the same way but let them in the water overnight and put them back into the freezer the next day, so the icing process helps me a little to expand the skin again.
    Rainer

6. Ted

Ted Member

I guess I'm the only pessimist. I got some Paradise Ducks from New Zealand and I never got the joints in the wings to loosen up no matter what I soaked them in. Of course the customer want them flying!