1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

conevntions

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael j, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Here we go the convention season will be here soon, what do you think about the judging ??? I have been on both sides of the coin here,, and i want to be judged on the facts and not from someones '' opinion'' of what my mount should be,,when a judge says '' well I think the color could be a little lighter'' Hello not all skin tone are the same, so if it falls with in the possiabiltry then I get the point ,, But it's dose not always work that way,, even when a ''world champion'' is the judge !!! what do you all think ??

2. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I know some top tier guys who avoid shows with certain judges. I guess in my mind, if the best mount doesn't win it makes the judge look worse than the guy who lost. Out of the 10 shows I've been to so far I've only seen the best not win once, 10% ain't bad considering humans judge.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

You have to have a pretty thick skin to compete. The whole competition scene has evolved. Folks used to win on technical merit alone but those days are over. Just do the best you can do and consider your critique as an honest appraisal of your skills from "that judge"! Look, you'll either win or learn something. That's the best way to approach it. Enjoy the show and the fellowship even if you don't place where you wanted to. Good luck!

4. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I had a judge tell me my Canvasback's neck looked great and had the perfect shape but "Felt" wrong.....same judge told me he didn't "like" eyes being open (mine were less than half open) on dead mounts and "HE" always has them completely closed. He then proceeded to cup the neck and squeezed the entire length of the neck basically crushing all the fluffed feathers to say he just didn't feel the windpipe. I had used the real skull on that particular bird. He started to scratch all over the cheek and chin with his thumb nail saying he couldn't find the seam and was wondering how I did it.Needless to say I asked him NOT to touch it again.

At the next show I took the same bird to I got deducted points because the neck feathers were too flat :mad:

I can understand if something looked off a judge might touch it to see but to say something looked great and then manhandled it just to find something to deduct for along with actually damaging it in the process was unacceptable. At what point will judges like this deduct for anything less than things actually having a heartbeat ? Should judges throw caution to the wind as far as damaging a mount by poking and prodding it in hopes of finding something to deduct ?

On another note I took the same mounts to multiple shows in the same year just to see how comparable the scoring would be. I wanted to see how much importance I needed to put into a judge's critique. I was amazed to see a 10 point and 12 point swing on two mounts, one for the better one for the worse. At that point who do you listen to ? That taught me you can't please everyone handing out ribbons so doing your best was all you could do.

5. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Some real good answers here..... I won't compete if I know a certain judge is even there even if he is not judging. We all know just the presence of people can influence others. I've seen people win that maybe should have but there is always more to the story. I've seen some loose by 1 point at the WTC. If you really want to look at it from a different perspective ..... go to the show and enter. You will always gain knowledge good bad or indifferent. The people for the most part are fantastic and the friends willing to help are beyond compare. I'm heading to the UTA show.... not to enter but for knowledge, and the people. Skywalker if 100% right....

6. bowelk

bowelk Member

Skywalker nailed it! Go for the camaraderie and let the chips fall where they may. Judging of anything for the most part is subjective at best.

7. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

+2

8. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

The key for those that enter is "subjective at best". But the Friends and those around you are great. And the seminars with the information you get is cheap....

9. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Hashed, hashed, and re hashed. But, not all for the bad. Lets face it, there are some people who are only there to win, and there are only people there to only win certain awards. There are beginners there to only learn. There are intermediate competitors there trying to learn how to "get over the top" and touch the 90 mark. Even if you don't compete, you should go! I've noticed over the last 20 years of competing, that even the guys/gals hanging out at the shows and not necessarily competing, their work improves. So all in all, amid all the horror stories of wrongdoings, bad judges, poor scoring, score fluctuation etc., the state taxidermy shows are an excellent way to gain lifelong friendships with people who generally have likes in common. And it is also a place to network with taxidermists who have "been there, done that"! Not once have I called an elder in our states association and been turned away when I was looking for advice. If you don't learn at least one thing new at each show, then you most likely aren't paying attention, IMO.

10. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

X2 Cory.... That's why I'm heading to the UTA..... Not to enter but all the other things you talked about. My agenda this year is UTA (National Convention that is centrally located with low cost to attend and stay), MTA my state show. Again centrally located in the state with a great location and a great bunch of people). Go to anyone and you won't be disappointed.....

11. Well the only ribbons I compeate for now are green in color and this number printed on them $ 100,, I still go for all the right rasons,, to see my friends and learn something new,, so I enjoy the shows with out the stress of compeating,, after all it's been 40 years,,I don't need any more trophies in my office..