1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Spoiling deer cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dannynewman, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

I have just gotten a deer cape delivered and it's was starting to spoil and slip so I threw it in the krowtann, will this save it? and can I turn the lips and ears after the tan, I didn't want to try turning and splitting and cause more damage/slip before I got the hide stable, has anyone experienced this situation?

2. Guttbag22

Guttbag22 Member

I had one three years ago I put it in krotann I didn't even flesh it left it in two extra days it turned out fine but I may have got lucky doesn't hurt to try it good luck let us know if it helped

3. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

I would say the chances of having to get another cape are extremely high !

4. Dannynewman

Dannynewman Well-Known Member

There no bald spots but when tugged on a piece on the end of the cape It did come off, but it smells terrible will the smell go away after tanning, it's a nice mule deer cape and would like to do everything I can to save it.

5. Genie

Genie Member

That cape sounds & smells like one I did once for a guy that carried it around for a week in the back of his covered pick-up. I didn't give it much of a chance but skinned & fleshed it with a clothes pin on my nose. It actually turned out fine. Didn't use krowtann though.