1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Spoiling deer cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dannynewman, Mar 14, 2016.

1. I have just gotten a deer cape delivered and it's was starting to spoil and slip so I threw it in the krowtann, will this save it? and can I turn the lips and ears after the tan, I didn't want to try turning and splitting and cause more damage/slip before I got the hide stable, has anyone experienced this situation?

2. Guttbag22

Guttbag22 Member

I had one three years ago I put it in krotann I didn't even flesh it left it in two extra days it turned out fine but I may have got lucky doesn't hurt to try it good luck let us know if it helped

3. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

I would say the chances of having to get another cape are extremely high !

4. There no bald spots but when tugged on a piece on the end of the cape It did come off, but it smells terrible will the smell go away after tanning, it's a nice mule deer cape and would like to do everything I can to save it.

5. Genie

Genie Member

That cape sounds & smells like one I did once for a guy that carried it around for a week in the back of his covered pick-up. I didn't give it much of a chance but skinned & fleshed it with a clothes pin on my nose. It actually turned out fine. Didn't use krowtann though.